Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    June Welsby

Default John Humfrey b1756 Baptisms

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Hi June,

Did you find the two baptisms online and if so where? If you know for sure John was born in Great Stanmore then no he cannot be from Sussex. Do you have John snr's baptism record. I've seen his burial in the Stanmore Parish Register where it says he was born abt. 1756, but there's no proof in that record that he was born in Great Stanmore. Have you looked for them under other spellings as: Humfrey/Humfreys/Humphrey/Humphreys/Humphries?
    Hi Alma
    So sorry to be so late in replying but it took me quite a while to find my records. When we packed up to move house I tried so hard to keep my families separate but unfortunately it didn't work out, and I've been finding bits and pieces all over the place. I'm pretty certain I still have a couple more files to find, but thought I'd better reply with what I have now.
    John Humfrey Snr. b 1756 died 10.5.1840, buried St. John the Evangelist, Great Stanmore, Middlesex. Parish Register page 90 Item 718. Also Free BMD Vol 3, page 109, District Hendon, Middlesex, June Qtr.
    Some time ago by husband Ron was communicating with a cousin in Wantage, Berkshire via Skype who was also doing family history and had an Ancestry Membership and offered to help out. In July 2011 he sent me the following info via e-mail:
    Ann Humfrey (nee Turner) died 12 April 1816 Mayfield, Sussex. I noted it so that I could research it at a later date, and now is that time.
    I don't know where I got the info that John Humfrey Snr was born in Great Stanmore, I thought I got it from the Birth/Baptism records of the children but I can't find them at present. There were a lot of Humfrey's in Great Stanmore as Bricklayers/Builders and I'm assuming that they are connected, some are but some I haven't managed to connect. I guess I must have assumed that this is where the family came from because of this. Anyway now I would like to find out.
    Incidently I live in Australia so my research is mainly via the internet.

June

June Welsby

Hi Alma
    Back again.... I was scrolling through Findmypast (I have a world membership ) and found the following:
    John Humfrey married Ann Austin 16.2.1792 at St. Margaret, Westminster, Middlesex. I know the date is later than the births of John and Thomas but I have come across this situation before and found that there was a connection, so I wonder if there is a connection here. Also John died before the 1841 census so he won't be recorded there. I haven't checked for Ann on the 1841 census yet. John Jnr b 1787 is listed with his wife Dinah and 3 children, all recorded as being :born in the county"; Thomas is also listed on the 1841 census with wife Elizabeth and son Frederick, Thomas is noted as "not born in this county". Both Thomas and John are listed as Bricklayers.

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    I don't think the Ann who died 1816 in Mayfield is the ancestor you are looking for

Name Ann
    Event Type Burial
    Event Date 12 Apr 1816
    Event Place Mayfield, Mayfield, Sussex, England
    Gender Female
    Age 69
    Marital Status Married
    Birth Year (Estimated) 1747
    Spouse's Name Walter Humphrey

Please confirm where you got the baptism details, also what is exactly recorded i.e. dates, parents and any other info
    Some time ago by husband Ron was communicating with a cousin in Wantage, Berkshire via Skype who was also doing family history and had an Ancestry Membership and offered to help out. In July 2011 he sent me the following info via e-mail:
    Ann Humfrey (nee Turner) died 12 April 1816 Mayfield, Sussex. I noted it so that I could research it at a later date, and now is that time.
    As that Ann Humphrey was the wife of Walter she cannot be your ancestor.
    Alma

June, forgive me but I'm not following this................why do you think John snr's wife was named Ann? Do you
    have documented evidence stating Ann was her name, if not, I'm unconvinced, sorry.
    Alma

janbooth

June,

I agree with what Alma has said in post 9. Ancestry have the parish register images of Great Stanmore online and I have looked for any HUMFREY and variant baptisms between 1780 and 1795 and have come up with nothing which would appear to suggest that the family did not originate in Great Stanmore and the 1841 census record for son Thomas HUMFREY would appear to corroborate this.

Given the burial record that Alma found for you in Great Stanmore, i.e. Frances HUMFREY in post 5, perhaps you may like to consider the baptism of a John HUMPHREY on 20 July 1788 at Norwood Green, Middlesex, son of John & Frances HUMPHREY - source Ancestry's London parish register records. And this could be very speculative, but there is a baptism on 14 April 1783 at Stone, Buckinghamshire for a Thomas HUMPHREY son of John & Frances HUMPHREY which would at least fit in with the 1841 census details and the burial record of your Thomas.

Janet

June Welsby

Default John Humfrey b1756 Great Stanmore, Middlesex

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    June,

I agree with what Alma has said in post 9. Ancestry have the parish register images of Great Stanmore online and I have looked for any HUMFREY and variant baptisms between 1780 and 1795 and have come up with nothing which would appear to suggest that the family did not originate in Great Stanmore and the 1841 census record for son Thomas HUMFREY would appear to corroborate this.

Given the burial record that Alma found for you in Great Stanmore, i.e. Frances HUMFREY in post 5, perhaps you may like to consider the baptism of a John HUMPHREY on 20 July 1788 at Norwood Green, Middlesex, son of John & Frances HUMPHREY - source Ancestry's London parish register records. And this could be very speculative, but there is a baptism on 14 April 1783 at Stone, Buckinghamshire for a Thomas HUMPHREY son of John & Frances HUMPHREY which would at least fit in with the 1841 census details and the burial record of your Thomas.

Janet
    I am not suggesting that Ann Turner is the wife of John Snr, I am trying to find out if the information that was given to me by Ron's cousin could be correct. I now would like to try and find some more information on John Snr. i.e. Baptisms, marriage etc....was he a Gardener or was he a Carpenter/Builder like the rest of the families were. Was he born in Great Stanmore or elsewhere? I already had the burial record for John Snr in 1840 but because he didn't make it to the 1841 census I am not able to find out who his wife was or even if he had more children than John and Thomas.
    I have other information to send but haven't had the time to send it yet.......I also haven't had time to look into the possible marriage of John and Frances, but I will as soon as I can, in the meantime I was trying to send as much info as I thought would be suitable. I offered the record of a marriage with Ann Austin as I thought it might be a possibility.

June

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12