Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

According to records in St. John NB where Edward and Janet were married - there is no record of Edward's parents - he signed the certificate, Janet signed with a cross - her father, Samuel Kerr, also signed.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you - that is certainly a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Helenmackay View Post
    Would like to know the area Edward, William, Henry and John Vallis came from in England. They arrived in Canada early 1800's - Edward settled in New Brunswick and died in 1834.
    Just to take a step back for a minute. What is the relationship of these men to each other? Are they brothers? Father and sons? Nephews etc etc?

There is a tree on ancestry that has Henry Vallis baptized Evercreech 1794 son of John and Susannah (in my previous post) living and marrying in Evercreech and dying there in January 1871.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

My understanding is that they were brothers - I only know about my grandfather, Edward - but in his son, Samuel's family, and in my grandfather's family all four names have been used in each generation.
    Helen

Hello Helen
    I have done a fair bit of searching for the Vallis men and the earliest record I can find is the 1851 census for Samuel born c1827 Canada son of Edward and Janet Kerr born Scotland.
    What evidence do you have that there are brothers of Edward named John, William and Henry?

There is this in ancestry's Canada British Regimental registers of Service
    Wm Vallis
    Age 18
    Born Skepton Mortoque, Somerset about 1789
    Military Date 18 Nov 1807
    Unit 3rd Foot Soldiers, Depot
    William signed up in Portsmouth in 1907 and when I read this it reminded me that the this database contains registers and other records providing details on soldiers and officers in British military units that served in Canada. but of course not serving for Canada and not necessarily settling there.

It is possibly the William above who is in receipt of a pension in 1838 according to the UK, Royal Hospital Chelsea Pensioner Registers of Soldiers Who Served in Canada, 1743-1882

Christina
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks Christina - I don't have any concrete evidence about William, Henry and John other than "word of mouth" from an aunt who did a history of the New Jerusalem area in New Brunswick (where Edward settled with Janet). She thought one of the others settled in East Farnham, Quebec - but in searching I believe that there was a name change either to Wallis or Vallous. According to her they sailed from Bristol, but can't find any shipping listing. Somehow Edward landed in NB in the early 1820's.

Hi
    I can still only find one Edward Vallis born England c1800 and this is his baptism on FreeReg
    St Peter's Evercreech
    Parish Register
    Register entry number 225
    Marriage 4 February 1788
    Groom John Vallis widower of this parish
    Bride - Susannah White - spinster of this parish
    Witnesses Phillis Vinson and William Vinson
    Notes Banns

From a previous post Susannah and John also had children
    John Vallis 6 July 1800
    James 1789
    Sarah 1791
    Ann 1802
    Henry 1794

As John is a widower on his marriage to Susannah he could have children from a previous marriage.

Possibly the only way to proceed now is to try and follow these children and see if they can be eliminated as candidates for your Vallis family.

There is this marriage for an Edward Vallis on FreeReg but no burial record
    Edward Vallis of this parish
    Bride Edith Pickford of this parish
    Witnesses H Cruse and William Chubb
    Banns

And they are on the 1841 census (note theages of the persons 15 and over have been taken down to the nearest 5 so Edward is showing younger than he is.
    HO107 piece 942 book 8 folio 37 page 1
    Edward Vallis 35
    Edith Vallis 45
    Elizabeth Vallis 20
    John Vallis 12
    Charles Vallis 10
    Sarah Vallis 7

And possibly a death for him in 1850 on FreeBMD

Evercreech is approximately 10 miles SE of Frome according to Parloc so can we say the Edward baptized to Sussanah and John in 1798 at Evercreech is this one in 1841? If so he is to be ruled out as your man and we need another one born who knows where in England.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Again, many thanks - I wonder if widower John did have older children - I think I shall have to go back to searching the shipping lists of around 1815 - 20. I had wondered about the Evercreech connection, did not realize that it was that close to Frome, where there is an extensive Vallis family. My grandfather is indeed a puzzle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12