Thread: "Sultana" 1866

Default "Sultana" 1866

Hi all

My gt gt grandfather's brother George Campbell apparently arrived in Maryborough on the "Sultana" in 1866 with his family.
    Does anyone have access to a passenger list for this voyage ?
    There is apparently a book with the passenger list but it seems to no longer be in print and my local genealogy society does not have a copy.

Thanks
    Katherine

A fountain of knowledge

Hi Katherine,

Is this the book you're looking for?

They came direct series; 'Sultana', 1866 : immigrant boat direct to the Port of Wide Bay /​ compiled by Eileen B. Johnson

Pub: Maryborough, Qld. : Eileen B. Johnson, c1994.

ISBN 1875776060

This gives details of Aussie archives copies:

https://trove.nla.gov.au/version/14779809

but that will only help if you visit or have relatives there. Sorry best I can do at the moment.

Regards Malcolm

Yes, that is the book I mean. The NZSG library which I use doesn't have a copy. There is a reference to the Sultana on A* under the " Maryborough Immigrants" section but it only says George Campbell & family. I am trying to find out if his daughter Christina died on the voyage. It seems likely as there was an outbreak of scarletina on board and over 70 deaths, mainly children.

A fountain of knowledge

Another book which details Sultana 1866 voyage is

Rights of Passage: Emigration to Australia in the nineteenth century, by Helen R Woolcock,
    (Tavistock Publications, 1986) .
    ISBN 042260240X
    This book has information on conditions on board ships, medical facilities and other items of interest

Sultana Liverpool / Queenstown Hervey's Bay (Maryborough) Nov 1865 567 souls, 77 deaths, 11 births; 115 day voyage p. 264

I have managed to find the following book available to download on Family Search which, I think, will give me all the information I need. Tall ships on the river : Sultana voyages, 1848-1866
    It covers all the voyages of the Sultana so could be of use to someone else.

Hi Kath, George Murray Campbell is my 2 x great grandfather. I would love to see that book if you still have a copy. I have struggled trying to find the passenger list for them
    regards
    Karen

I will send you a pm