Hello,
I'm hoping to find information about my 4th great grandfather Samuel Sturgeon. His son my 3rd great grandfather also named Samuel Sturgeon was born in about 1785 in County Tyrone and attended University of Glasgow in 1804-1806. The U of G registration papers said he was the 3rd son of Samuel, a farmer in Aughalugh parish, County Tyrone. Samuel the farmer would have been married around 1775 in order to have his 3rd son by 1785. So he might have been born around 1755.
The 1766 Religious Census returns record a William Sturgeon in Aghaloo and Carnteel but there is no other information.
Samuel b. 1785 must never have had a church in Ireland as he does not appear in the Seceder Fasti. There are no Sturgeons in Aghaloo Parish in the 1825 tithe book so none of his family remained in Aghaloo parish.
Samuel Sturgeon married Olivia Mary Ines (or Innes). Olivia was born in County Antrim, Ireland in 1795/6.
They were living in New Brunswick, Canada by 1820. In letters petitioning the Presbyterian church for permission to start a school, Samuel says he was ordained by the Presbitry of Tyrone in the Seceder Connection.
Samuel and Olivia's children were named Samuel Robert Ines, William John, Edward Lindsey, Mary Jane, Sarah B, Susan M, Jeremiah Candee, and Elizabeth Ellen. The family had a tradition of using the mothers' maiden names as middle names for their sons so I suspect Olivia and Samuel's mothers' maiden names were Candee and Lindsay.
Any help cracking this brick wall would be greatly appreciated,
Kathy