apowell

Default Whampton in Shropshire ?

Hello,

My ancestors marriage entry:

Thomas Cranage & Elianor Alcock
    23rd Jan 1763 Broseley, Shropshire
    Thomas of the parish of Whampton & Elianor Alcock of this parish were published (by Banns)
    Thomas Cranage of this parish of Whampton & Elianor Alcock of this parish were married.

I've seen copy of the original and can confirm above details.

I've been unable to locate Whampton near Broseley or anywhere in Shropshire. Is it possible the Whampton is Wolverhampton, Staffordshire. I doubt this but not sure where to research my ancestor next.

Any help would be fantastic.

Kind regards
    Adrian

According to the GENUKI Gazetteer, there was a parish called Hampton Welsh in Salop (Shropshire).
    It lists a fair number of parishes varying on the "Hampton" theme for England, so a West Hampton also seems possible....

Ken_R

Ahem....

It's an abbreviation for Wolverhampton.

Although strictly speaking, the City? of Wolverhampton is in Staffordshire, I can well see the Parish of Wolverhampton extending into Shropshire.

apowell

Hi,

Logic states Wolverhampton Ken but my gut feeling states otherwise given that it states within the parish but of course could be an error. I've completed a search on a few family research with the name whampton, Shropshire. Interestingly one came back Whampton, Wellington, Shropshire branch line (Britain, Trade Union membership registers). Wellington could be another good option to investigate but mind you it could mean Wolverhampton to Wellington.
    Many thanks
    Adrian

Modern abbreviations don't necessarily apply to previous centuries, although they might have done.

According to GENUKI's Gazetteer, there were 15 parishes in Wolverhampton, all named for Churches.

MJHulme

I feel sure that Whampton is a rather unusual abbreviation for Wolverhampton. Having said that Wolverhampton isn't really the name of a parish, it is the name of the town. Wolverhampton has at least seven parishes over the years as the town has expanded. See the Historical Maps on the Family Search web site - just put Wolverhampton in the search box and then zoom in on the map.

You will need to check the start date of each parish register so you can eliminate those that start too late.

I was hoping Thomas CRANAGE might show up in the Staffordshire Banns on Find my Past but I can't see him so it might be that the appropriate Banns book is not included or worse still doesn't survive. You should check with Wolverhampton Archives. Banns books might be listed on their web site.

Mike

Reputation beyond repute

I'm looking at a scan of the original and I would say that the document reads:
    "of the parish of W'hampton"..."of the parish of W:hampton"

To my mind it's an open and shut case! It's Wolverhampton.

And there was only one parish of Wolverhampton in 1763 - "St Peter's Church, the ancient Collegiate and Parish Church of Wolverhampton"

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Could it not be the vicar was trying to give extra information, and he meant that Thomas was now of thisparish, but originally from Wolverhampton ?

Reputation beyond repute

It says "the parish", not "this parish"

apowell

Hi,

Many thanks for you helpful posts and it's proving difficult to trace a baptism for Thomas but just need to keep looking.

I'm thinking he may have been living in Wolverhampton but possible from the Shropshire area and he did settle in Shropshire after his marriage because of the baptisms of his children.

Any ideas on a suitable baptism ???

Kind regards
    Adrian