Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Starting to feel at home

Thank you so much Christina, I will certainly check it out.

Gary

There is a WW1service record for a William Steward, single. He enlisted 3 September 1914 at Belfast service number 12933
    Says he was born Pembroke Dock 1889 and his mother is Phoebe, no father's first name recorded. (Didn't give his stepfather's name if this is the man in the 1901 Ireland census I found) which he very well could be as he gives his previous occupation as boilermaker's helper.
    What caught my eye is the fact he is born Wales but enlisted and was discharged in Ireland. He also served in South Africa and India.
    He has tattoos on his left arm and hand. Are you lucky enough to have any photos of your grandfather. Any tattoos?

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Starting to feel at home

Very interesting Christina. Unfortunately I have never met my grandfather, and my father's memory is faltering. I am going through my parent's boxes and hope to find at least a few pictures of him. I have seen a picture of him with my father and his brother, some time ago, but it was only of his torso.

Gary

thewideeyedowl

Default An example of a Post Office/Stores on IoW

Though this isn't really moving your research along, I have just found interesting info on Chale Green Stores and Post Office, IW. You will need to convert this into an internet address: http//www dot chalegreenstores dot co.uk/history.html. (There is some advertising, hence need to break the link.)

These Stores were built in 1912 and are now, over 100 years later, in the ownership of only the third family. It wasn't just a job - it was a home and way of life. I suspect that this is the sort of place that your Great-Uncle Steward was running.

Off to roost.

Owl

Starting to feel at home

Yes, Owl, it is interesting. It does appear as though my great-uncle was running such an establishment. I hope that some of the folks living on the island will be able to identify the building and its address. From there I should be able to find out when he was the proprietor.

Have a nice evening,

Gary

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12