Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default Steward - running Post Office in 1930s

Hi, I am doing a search on a Grand-Uncle.

I found a photograph in my parents' effects. The photograph's underside had been written upon. His last name was Steward, first name unknown, his exact location unknown. In the 1930s he was on the Isle of Wight running a Post Office with his wife.

His brother's name was William, my Grandfather, and he lived in South Africa at the time. I have no idea who my Great-Grandfather was.

Any information would be very welcomed.

Thank you,

Gary

I assume that your grandfather was born in the UK? If so, you should be able to find him with his parents and any siblings before he left for SA. That will tell you what siblings he had, and limit the number of forenames that you need to search for.
    Also, various websites have Post Office Directories on line - see whether cou can find one for the Isle of Wight around that time. He should be listed.

Reputation beyond repute

Ancestry has "British Postal Service Appointment Books, 1737-1969"

BUT I don't expect your man would be listed. That looks like a general store cum post office and he would not have been a post office employee.

As Lesley suggests, County/Trade directories and conventional family history are your best bet initially.

Starting to feel at home

Thank you Lesley. I have done extensive research online to try and locate my Grandfather and his family before he moved to South Africa, but to no avail. My Grandfather indicated on his marriage documents in South Africa that he was from ireland, but never indicated the location. I did do research but was not able to locate him in Ireland either; I am not certain if he was in fact born there. So when I found the picture of my Grand-Uncle, I thought it might put me on the right track. I will try searching for Post Office Directories.

Starting to feel at home

Thank you for the information Peter. I have no idea in which County my Great-Uncle was.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by stewgm View Post
    My Grandfather indicated on his marriage documents in South Africa that he was from ireland, but never indicated the location.
    I understand that it is hard to find the exact place of birth of an Irish native. If you're lucky there may be an obituary in the newspaper which occasionally can give the place of birth.

Starting to feel at home

I see that Isle of Wight is its own County. I will try searching the directories.

thewideeyedowl

Default IWFHS Databases

Hi Gary and a very warm welcome to Brit Gen...

The Isle of Wight Family History Society might be able to help with this query. It has an excellent website, https://www.isle-of-wight-fhs.co.uk/index.php, which includes databases of IW BMDs from 1837. (Navigate to Databases in the horizontal menu at the top.) There were 27 Steward births between 1865-1890, and 10 Steward deaths 1930-1961; I also found two William Steward marriages in the early years of the 20th century. Did you know your grandmother's maiden name? If so, you could easily eliminate/confirm the possible candidates.

There is also a Photo Gallery section, which is worth browsing. Lots of links within in the website, including one through to the IWCRO in Newport.

Let us know if you find anything useful to your researches.

Owl

Starting to feel at home

Thank you Owl.

I followed your recommendation and visited the website. I did a few searches and looked at the pictures, including those that still need to be identified. I ended up writing to the Isle of Wight Family Society to get some assistance in identifying the shop/post office and the name of my Grand-Uncle and Aunt sitting in the foreground.

My grandfather, William, was born in 1893, moved to South Africa after 1911 (could be after the Great War) and was married there. On his marriage documents he indicates that he was born in Ireland, but does not say where. I think he actually might have been born in the Portsmouth area and his mother was from Ireland.

Finding information on my great-uncle, like his name, and when he arrived on the island, might be my big break at putting the pieces of the puzzle together.

Thank you

There is this family in Ireland 1901
    John Gamble 32 Boilermaker Belfast Can read and write
    Phoebe Gamble 34 Wales cannot read and write
    Agnes Gamble 3 Wales
    Phoebe Elizabeth Gamble 2 Wales
    Wilson Gamble 11months Belfast
    Thomas Wm Henry Steward, stepson 11 Wales cannot read and write
    William John Steward, stepson, 9 Wales cannot read and write

religion Presbyterian

On same page FreeBMD
    Marriage March 1/4 1897
    John Gamble and Phoebe Steward Pembroke 11a 1343

Birth Sept 1/4 1889 Thomas William H Steward Pembroke 11a 978

On same page FreeBMD
    Marriages June 1/4 1887 Phoebe Gwyther and William Steward Pembroke 11a 1272

Have no idea if this is your family but just thought I would give what information I had found.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast