Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Name well known on Brit-Gen

My childhood was spent in a Staffordshire village up the road from our house which was a new 1950's housing estate were Cally Woods where I went with friends to play and pick bluebells in the spring, then to the hay fields with house like hay stacks which made great slides, my late brother aged 3 slipped off and broke his arm.
    School holidays were spent about 2 miles from home off what was known as the Mile Flat in a field with 2 horses, Gay & Zulu, saddles were carried on our bikes, we always took sandwiches & drink.

The local canal looking for stickleback, my friend fell in, looking back we both laugh about the incident, Autumn saw us collecting wood for the bonfire and making a guy. Then there was the park at the other end of the road, the witches's hat, rocking horse, see saw swings oh and the helter skelter...

We too had a bogie cart made from scraps of wood and pram wheels, great as the road we lived on had good slopes....in winter a tobaggan with metal curtain tracks as runners, greased.....

Methodist Sunday School and the concerts etc. I remember as a 6 year old singing 'Golden Slumbers'

What a shock when we moved to S Manchester in the early 1960's. we did not need the bogie cart or the tobaggan as it was relatively flat, but most of all we lost our freedom .....

We had a car ( 1953 & home with a small mortgage) but I do not remember life being about material possessions, looking back yes my parents gave us what they could, just as we have tried with our children and now our grandchild.

Banned

Wow, lovely to hear these. Just shows me what my life could've been like.

And thanks Pam

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by southistle View Post
    Watching Muffin the Mule and Hank Rides Again on a neighbours tv. And the Coronation in 1953 on a different tv - still not ours. My parents were on a waiting list to have a telephone from 1948 until 1953. Our first fridge and car both in 1962.
    Our neighbour had a colour TV - a blue strip at the top, clear in the middle and a green strip at the bottom.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by stepives View Post
    the travel to London was a wee bit later in life, around 14 years old then
    Oh you cheeky so and so!!!! I remember my sister Dawn, when she decided to go to a London college (1980), she didn't pay train fares and caught trains for free. There weren't any security guards in those days.

Quote Originally Posted by geneius
    Sunday School
    I was born in what you can call the "modern" generation so I don't remember going to Sunday School but my stepparents and my parents do remember it. It was arithmetic, Spanish, English and Mathematics on Sundays in Birmingham. They also went to Saturday morning pictures.

Christina, I bet this brings back some memories:

Ah, My Morrie was red, I would never have bought a blue car and still wouldn't because for some illogical reason I do not like blue cars. My OH knows this but that didn't stop him greeting me at the airport many years ago after a trip to NZ saying " I have a surprise for you." Yep a blue Peugeot 505. It was very quickly replaced by a silver one.

My red Morrie was sold when it became a health hazard using the brakes as it would take a dive to the right in to oncoming traffic.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Melbourne Aust. ~ a drop kick away from the Essendon Airport - 9 miles out of Melbourne

I can go back to Aug 1932
    I was born May 1930 and my younger brother was born Aug 1932. So I was 26 months old. I can clearly remember the day he was born. It was about midday on a hot day. There was a lot of commotion in the house and the midwife arrived. My sister was 3 yrs older then me. A lady grabbed my hand and also my sister's and took us in the back yard. There was a small brick shed which had a very low roof and there was steps built on one side wall. she took us up there. There was a stone bench and she made us sit there. She gave us something to eat and told us to just sit there. We must have sat there well over an hour. We did hear the new born baby crying and after that we were taken inside the house. Cannot remember more.

During 1933, could be late 1933, my father had this Morris Cowley bullnose. It was always parked in front of our house. I never saw him drive it, Never saw it moved. I used to jump on the dront seat and grab the steering wheel , pretending to drive the car. One day I was getting in the car, had the door open and my sister banged the door shut and caught my fingers between the door and the body.
    One finger was smashed and bleeding. It was bad. When my Dad arrived home from work, my Mum went to him and yelled out " Get rid of that car ". I think it was gone the next day. To this day, this finger is still twisted and looks funny.

------- I clearly remember the 1st day of WW2, For dinner we had boiled potatoes and tinned corned beef.

The 1925 Morris bullnose.
    -----------

Banned

Lovely to hear your memories, Rove, and what a good looking car!!

Quote Originally Posted by christanel
    My red Morrie was sold when it became a health hazard using the brakes as it would take a dive to the right in to oncoming traffic.
    Christina, I guess every car has its' breaking point unfortunately - I loved my VW Golf.

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

Brake failure on my Ford Anglia at Rhyl in North Wales, in 1972. Great mechanic though.

Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

Banned

Oh lovely photo!

I have just found this photo of my stepmum's Volkswagen Beetle:

My dad's Austin A35 - unsure of who the man is:

The Sunday School outing - alternating between Barry Island one year (Cold Knap and then the funfair) and the Gower the next (Langland Bay and then Mumbles Pier).

Simple pleasures - but so eagerly awaited.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast