Thread: Windows Updates

Valued member of Brit-Gen MrsPoppy's Avatar

Default Windows Updates

Has any one else had problems with the latest batch of windows updates.

I have had a Security Update for Windows 7 x 64 KB3101746 trying to install repeatedly.

Because of previous problems I have updates set to 'Download but ask me before Install' however I have noticed I get no notification of a download or an install until I turn off my laptop and it says 'installing etc ....., I have just changed the settings to do not download or install without asking.

I have spent two hours trying to get access to internet and various sites (funnily enough BG was about the only one that seemed to be downloading and refreshing without any problems), my security Kaspersky was flashing red with 'cannot correspond with licence key' or some such message and the virus protection was turned off. I have scanned and done all the necessary checks, nothing showing, so I am sure that it is since that repeated attempt at updating KB3101746. It has tried to install 10 times and failed. I have 'hidden' the update now.

After several re-starts Kaspersky is on and working and websites (such as A and FMP) are now loading.

David Benson

Google the update number and you will find references to any problem that others have had and any way to install it. As a security update its best to install it.

Thank you David - I have googled and there are several versions of fixes and suggestions, some a lot more technical than others, on various forums. I did what it suggested on the Microsoft Support site for the error code it gave me but it still would not install. It is simple enough to uninstall an update but I have not been able to work out how to get rid of an update that has downloaded but not actually installed. So at least that would give it another chance to try again from scratch. Lots of technical suggestions on google but above me I am afraid and some I would rather not try.

I am wondering if I should go back to a previous restore point and see if that would work.

Flossy

Default Windows updates

Hi Mrs Poppy

Have just seen your post and am wondering if you have managed to find out what has been causing problems with your Windows 7 downloads. I've had similar problems recently, though there were a large number of updates in my case.

I first experienced this back on 10 Oct when trying to update a laptop that has Win. 8.1 that I don't use often. I have the computer set to check with me before download & install, and I also have not been getting any messages that updates are available.

In my case, the computer refused to connect to the internet for any sites - not just Microsoft but my security programmes as well as others. I tried a whole ranges of fixes, without success. All this took place over several days, so appeared to be a continuing problem within the computer rather than externally. In the end, I've had to resort to the computer repair man, & it is now with him. I've not heard back yet about whether he has found what has been causing the problem.

Just to add to my problems, my desktop computer also threw a wobbly when trying to update a few days ago. There were 6 items ready for download & install. This time, whilst it would connect, it failed to download & install 5 of the 6. Next try it again installed one and failed on 4. Next try, installed one, failed 3. Finally, it installed the last 3 together

I've no idea what's going on, but if you've found out I'd be glad to know
    Last edited by Flossy; 26-11-2015 at 7:27 AM. Reason: text jumbled

Hi Flossy

I don't think we are alone - there are a lot of other people on the internet complaining about updates causing various problems and not installing successfully. Some posts are saying it is Windows 10 updates which are scheduled to download regardless of the version of Windows used, so causing compatibility problems, but I don't know if that is true. Wouldn't they show up as for Windows 10?.

I use Google Chrome so I explored all connection issues with that, tried IE as a browser in case it was a browser issue rather than windows causing the problems. Like you I almost resorted to a computer man.

I took my laptop back to a previous restore point after 'hiding' all the downloads that seem to have problems installing.

I have kept downloads to 'tell me before downloading and installing' - not seen any notifications at all despite knowing some updates are available.

Things seem to be okay with my laptop at the moment - I know those security updates are important but if all they do is fail and make repeated attempts to install which causes further problems, then the laptop won't work properly or connect to sites because of that - I can't see they are doing me any favours.

I am sitting tight and hoping that Microsoft will iron out the problems (because I do think it is an update problem) whilst I decide whether or not to risk Windows 10.

So head in sand approach at moment. I hope your computer man can sort the problem. Will you post again if he comes up with anything that I can check on my laptop.

I know computer basics but I am not technical enough to offer a more specific solution.

Flossy

Many thanks. I guess there is some comfort in knowing that we are not alone with these problems. I gather there is a fairly large update being sent out for Win. 10 so I suspect it might have something to do with that interfering with the Win. 7 & 8.1 updates. There's certainly something going awry, because I couldn't connect to the internet at all.

I've not heard back from the repair man yet, but will let you know what he says (assuming he can figure out what has been going on and manages to fix it).

Like you, I think it is an update problem, because it has only started to happen recently when installing updates. I have heard that some of them are intended to cover all operating systems, from Vista through to Win.10 - don't know how true that is. So maybe it is a compatibility issue. Or part of Microsoft's plan to "encourage" everyone to move to Win. 10 - one way or another.

Hi Flossy

I did wonder if it was a push towards Windows 10.

I hardly dare download and install any more updates but I will take the plunge in the next couple of weeks and see what happens.

I keep my laptop backed up on a spare hard drive just in case.