flour

Exclamation George Turnbull - Eccles

Hello listers, this is my first posting:

John Cleghorn married Elizabeth Turnbull 22nd June 1799 in Edinburgh. John Cleghorn was born in Drumelzier. At the time of the marriage Elizabeth's father, George Turnbull was dead but is mentioned on the OPR as "late George Turnbull, wricht in p. of Eccles".

I can not be sure that George or Elizabeth were born in Eccles and do not have a birth date for Elizabeth, only her husband which was 1769.

I am completely stuck with my Turnbull line and would appreciate a little help maybe from those researching other Turnbulls in the same area at that time.

Does anyone know what a wricht was or did? I would be interested to know.

Thank you

hope full

Hi Flour

I can't help with your Turnbulls but

Wricht = Wright = Craftsman, one who makes or constructs e.g.shipwright or wheelwright.

Good luck
    Hope

Have you tried looking in the 1841 census for John & Elisabeth Cleghorn? If you're lucky they even lived to the 1851 - and it might be worth searching Scotlands People for death certs, especially since women are indexed by both surnames.. You can look her up under both names and see if you find an apparently duplicate entry.

flour

Thank you for your reply Lesley, I came across it when doing a search in Google for George Turnbull + Eccles, a little late.
    I found John Cleghorn on the 1841 census, still living with his daughter, his wife had died. I have traced some of John Cleghorn's descendents to Wick, Edinburgh and the north of England.
    George Turnbull remains elusive, there is nothing on JCleghorn and ElizTurnbull's marriage entry to give any clues except her father's name, where he once lived, not necessarily born and his trade - which may have changed. What I know, firmly, is that he was dead at the time of his daughter's marriage.

bettyespana

Cool George Turnbull - Eccles

Have you tried the Family Tree website (LDS).

I went into it & found George Turnbulls around Berwick on Tweed c.1700
    possibly there may be a link as I think there is an Eccles there.

A wild card might be to try Eccles,Lancashire.
    You may think this is a bit far out,but I lived near there & so did my granny Emma Evans.

I was trying to find where she came from for 5years & guess what with the help of people on B-G Forums I have recently found her birth in Dumfries with a Scottish mother.This has led me to my ancestors all around Caithness.

So it may be possible that George's Eccles connection may be in a entirely different place to where you are looking.

Good Luck!
    bettyespana

flour

Talking Looking for George Turnbull

Hi bettyespana
    I had assumed George to be of Scotland but after reading your reply I've realised it is possible George was from Eccles near Manchester. After leaving Edinburgh University John studied for a couple of years at Southport, England before his marriage; he may have met Elizabeth Turnbull there and taken her back to Scotland. I had looked for Elizabeth's birth in the Scottish Records but without success, maybe it I will find it recorded in England.
    Thank you very much
    regards flour