Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

The free upgrade is available until mid 2016 from memory.I have upgraded my PC but use Opera rather than Microsoft Edge as it seemed to be at odds with many sites i use.Two gripes with 10;programs are now apps and to shut down you right click start button.

Wilkes_ml

I upgraded from windows 8 to 10, and found Mozilla firefox and chrome became unstable. I thought it was my internet shutting down, but have not had the same problems with Edge. After a few lessons from my 15 year old son, I'm getting to grips with the new style!

thewideeyedowl

Default Comments on Windows 10

I am now using Win 10 on my Windows tablet, a Surface 3, having upgraded from 8.1; but have still got 8.1 on my laptop, and I don't mind waiting a long time for the invitation to upgrade on that one.

The upgrade involves a massive download (3 or 4 GB). I left it downloading overnight expecting it all to be user-ready the next morning. Silly me! It had only downloaded itself and needed to know what I wanted to do next. ("Get on with it!") It then installed itself, and then configured itself. Yawn.

So, finally, it was ready. Everything seemed to be there and I needed to do some emailing. I use Microsoft's Outlook program for that. Problem 1: emails stuck in the Outbox and wouldn't 'go'. Hmm. Searched the MS Community forums, found that it is a known problem, downloaded the fix, and then re-sent those adhesive emails.

Problem 2: Edge, the achingly cool new web browser. It is like a minimalist kitchen - nothing on any worktop, and no handles on doors or drawers. So you can't find a thing. Plus, there is a Start page and also a Home page, which is totally confusing. After visiting forums, and clicking around in desperation, I eventually found how to get a visible Favorites Bar, also where Favorites can be found, and how to get rid of MSN News on the Start page. But it takes time.

Problem 3: Microsoft's own OneNote program is not fully integrated in Edge. If you click the 'share' icon and select 'Send to OneNote', nothing gets sent. In order to send you have to select 'Open page in Internet Explorer' from what is called the 'hub' (top right, straight lines not round), and then select 'Send to OneNote', then right-click what you want to send, with any notes you have added, and it will go.

I have to conclude that Win 10 is being offered as a 'free upgrade' until some time in 2016 so that it can be tested on real users, i.e. you and me. The glaring problem is that the O/S and new browser are not yet fully integrated with Microsoft's own programs. The fixes are out there, but you have to hunt for them. (I have found the 'TenForums' excellent.)

Like Warncoort, I too use and love the Opera web browser, so downloaded that one immediately. But Opera doesn't right-click integrate with OneNote.....but it's OK with Evernote. (Though the two programs are similar, they are different - OneNote is excellent for organising/adding to/using notes, just as you would if they were in an A4 ring file. Am using OneNote for all aspects of research now.)

So that's it for first impressions. I am making myself persevere with Win 10 because it will soon(-ish) be the standard Windows O/S. But how good is it? The jury's still out.

Owl

David Benson

Many years ago we got a BOOK which could be read at any time to learn about the latest version of vindhows. Today it has to be found online. However it's not that easy to find how the bl**%#y thing works. To "simplify" things they have hidden so much in menus, that you can't find, and that makes it very frustrating to many users. I think I've found most of what I need but it has taken a lot of intuition to find where it's hidden. If you are not very computer illiterate you may get some problem that leads you to decide to revert to an earlier system. I have had a couple of problems, which had I not been able to solve, would have probably caused someone else to give up. There are often several ways to get to the same menu, right clicking for example, but that is context sensitive and depends on what you are doing. That's something that many people find frustrating. Persevere and I think that Vindoze 10 will be an improvement on the older systems.

Having read all of this discussion and our Win7 desk top just breathing its last we are now using son's older model iMac which he left with us years ago and when this Win 8 notebook dies I will surely get a Mac.

Son will be pleased to know I am a convert!

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12