Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Brick wall demolition expert!

Default WINDOWS 10 FREE UPGRADE

I use a laptop with Windows 7 - 95% of the time its used in my office, as opposed to anywhere else. I have FTM 12.

Every time I turn the computer on I am greeted by a message encouraging me to upgrade for free to Windows 10. With things like this I am always ultra cautious, so I thought I would ask has anyone who has upgraded from 7 to 10, or to 10 using FTM 12 hit any problems?

A fountain of knowledge

DON'T DO IT!

If you read the small print in the licence agreement you will find that you give Microsoft the right to block any software AND/OR HARDWARE that they decide you shouldn't have.

I've done it on my pc and laptop. There was only one problem - it made all my files read only, but I found a way to solve it. That was in the early days, they should have it sorted by now.

It's much better than WIN 8, it's lost several irritating features and the start menus's back. It hasn't given me a problem with any of my software (including both FTM2005 and 2011, ancient versions of Word Perfect and Works, etc), indeed, I'm now running a couple of older things that wouldn't run on WIN 8.

If you do it, and have the files problem, pm me and I'll send you my work around.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I upgraded to Windows 10 on my desktop, my laptop is still windows whatever however I use professional programmes and family historian and have not experienced any problems.

I find it far easier to use!

David Benson

I upgraded from 8 to 10. I have FTM 2012 and 2014 and have not found any problem so far. Only 'problem' I had was with an anti-malware program that didn't automatically update the database every day. I just re-installed the prog and all is fine. I can now run a couple of older programs which came from the early XP days that would not install with 8 but now run and allow me access to a lot of old graphics files that were saved in an odd format by Microsoft PhotoDraw.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Am I right in thinking that if you don't like it you can go back to Windows 7?

A fountain of knowledge

Yes, BUT it is time limited. 30 days I think.

I knew that I hated WIN 8 within 30 minutes.....

yorkshiregal

I run windows 7. I switched to 10 but hated it. Now back on 7.

yorkshiregal

One word of warning. If you get automatic updates, it will sneakily download some of the win 10 stuff. One day, you'll wake up to find you have it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast