Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Valued member of Brit-Gen SandraL's Avatar

Default New Changes on Ancestry

GRRR I just noticed when ancestry changed their format they didn't put all of the children on that person's home page. But they do show up on the tree page. Has anyone else had this problem since the change? And needless to say I hate the new format they did.

A fountain of knowledge

I don't know about the detailed changes. I took one look at the 'new' tree and promptly went back to the old version and I told them in no uncertain terms that I would never use the new version.

To return to the old version:- left click the arrow by your name, just above 'log out' should be 'return to old Ancestry'(or similar) left click on this and you should get your preferred and IMO much better layout.

If, nay, WHEN they impose the new version I will probably go elsewhere.

I'm not getting that menu when I left click the arrow beside my name.

What it says is open in new tab, open in new window, open window in incognito window, save link as, copy link address, inspect element.

I also tried using IE and safari as well as chrome but that menu didn't come up for any of these.

Oops I right clicked concerning the last message but it still does not have that in my menu when I left click. On that menu it has member profile, my account options, site preferences, email preferences, my alerts, and sign out.

I don't have a tree on ancestry so don't know what happens if you try to get back to the old search function if you have your tree open. However when I am on the search page and left click on the arrow to the right of my name it produces the drop down menu and second from the bottom is Old Ancestry, just above Sign out.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

It isn't on my menu. Post #4 is what shows on my menu.

A fountain of knowledge

Sandra, I've just gone from my preferred old ancestry to the new one and back and the menu is as christanel says there is 'Old Ancestry' above 'Sign Out'. I tried to copy the layout but it wouldn't let me, unlike the old version where I copied and pasted this
    Member Profile
    My Account
    Site Preferences
    Email Settings
    My Alerts
    Improved Ancestry (*see below)
    Sign Out

Old Ancestry (on new version) clicking on this takes you to leaving questionnaire.

I've just noticed you're in Canada. Is it possible that they have imposed new version and you no longer have the option of returning to your old version.

If so I suppose it will be imposed on us in UK soon. If they do my subscription runs out in March next year and won't be renewed.

The new tree is appallingly garish, something that looks like it was designed in the '80s. Adobe did something similar with Photoshop Elements 7, with dark background, I hate it and hardly ever use it and have not bought another version since. And I won't be up grading FTM either.

Sorry can't help you further. Except to say 'Make your displeasure known! e-mail them.'

Regards Malcolm.

As I had said post #4 is what mine shows. I have already started a tree on My Heritage but right now I'm not a paid member. The first 250 names will save online but the others will only save offline but that is fine with me. I might still keep ancestry just for searching. But I will continue to add more names to My Heritage. I do like the printout of My Heritage. I just might sign up for that one eventually. I will see.

Thanks for the info anyhow, Malcolm.

ET in the USA

Even though you are 'in' Canada, can you access ancestry.co.uk instead of ancestry.ca & still be able to sign in ? I am in the USA, but I use .co.uk & I have Old Ancestry option. It is also an option on Ancestry.com.

I never thought of that. And yes I still have the world plan. Thanks for that info ET.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast