Default Lt Colonel John Gray/Grey

I am hoping you may be able to help me locate a link with the Grey/Gray family and may be able to help me with my research.

I live in Hobart Tasmania and my Grey family settled here in the 1830’s but my interest is with Lt Colonel John Grey who I think may have come from your area and was with Cromwell when he went to Ireland in 1649.

I am very lucky that I have a note book with material copied from Basil Gray at Roscomroe in Ireland the late 1700 – 1800’s and then added to by his Great Grand Daughter and then eventually my great aunt, Kate Hamilton Dougharty (KHD) wrote a book in the early 1950’s called A story of a pioneer family in Van Diemen’s Land which traces the story of our family arriving here in the 1829. (I even have the original letter describing the ship wreck in St Jago!)

The first task I am hoping you can help me with is to determine which Gray family Colonel John Gray may have come from in 1649 with Cromwell.

This is the section from our family history note book

About John Gray (Colonel)

He married Miss Basil daughter of Colonel Basil, Parliamentary Commissioner in Ireland and settled in Ireland at Ballycumha the Leap (or Leep), King's County, and Barony of Ballybritt, six miles from BIRR. - He is purported to have married 3 times and to have had several daughters, but only one son, John. And is said to have died at the age of 114 and been buried at Aughan, Con. Cemetery.

This is also relevant:

John was a Major [later Colonel] in Stubber's Regiment - " When in April 1648, Lord Inchiquin declared for the King, Stubber adhered to the side of Parliament. - On May 11th Colonel Stubber, Major Gray and Capt Thomas Chandler together with 7 other Officers of the Regiment were voted money (from) the Committee of Parliament for Irish Affairs". (Regimental History of Cromwell's Army)

My reason for thinking that he may have come from Lincolnshire is that he was first attached to Rainsborough and then Henry Grey in 1644 before the Model army and hence he may have been recruited locally from the area. The other interesting thing is as an ensign he was attached to Henry Grey – maybe some personal connection there?

I cannot find any direct connection with the Greys of Bradgate and Groby but who knows?

If you have any thoughts on this I would love to hear from you.

Kind regards

Ian
    ps I do have other information as well

Hi Ian
    First of all just how far back have you got with definite proof of your Gray/Grey ancestry? It is easier to move backwards when researching, well sometimes. Families can get over enthusiastic and leap generations to try and forge links with 'famous' names which match up with theirs.

I have been doing a bit of 'googling' re John Gray and one bit I picked up is that John may have been born in Scotland. This led me to the John Gray Centre Here
    I haven't looked at it properly but it may be worth a look to see whether they can confirm, or not, that John Gray who served with Cromwell came from Scotland.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Default Thankyou

Dear Christina,
    Thankyou so much for taking the time to respond to my postings and I must apologize for the delay in answering, I just happened to 'get on a roll' with my writing and did not want to stop.
    I thought you may be interested in this;
    https://www.utas.edu.au/arts/writing-family-history

It is a free course with Tas Uni. I did the one on researching your family history last year and it was excellent. Its all online but quite friendly.

Yes I have checked the John Grey centre but no luck there. Thanks anyway

All the best

Ian