Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    southistle

Default CORY - Brickwall For 20 Years

In the parish of Southhill, Cornwall, Richard and Elizabeth CORY baptized 2 daughters.
    Elizabeth in 1768 and Ann in 1770

I cannot find a marriage for Richard and Elizabeth anywhere, and I have not found burials for them in Southill. Where did they come from and where did they go?

Daughter Elizabeth is my ancestor, she married William STRIKE in Southill in 1794, she signed her name as did the witnesses who were Richard and Richard. They all signed with there own spelling variants of CORY

I have not been able to connect them to the Corys in the neighbouring village of Linkinhorne

They appear in several trees on ancestry, these trees are all based on my original research, so no help there.

I need ideas...

Wilkes_ml

In the 1700s people often married further afield, especially if they liked a particular church. This marriages often involved having a licence rather than having banns read, so it is worth looking into whether there are any marriage licence allegations.

Secondly, another useful source is settlement certificates and removal orders, as these often show which were the last legal settlements. I would suggest looking at Cornwall Record Office's website to see if they have an online catalogue. They may be able to search for marriage licences if they have them indexed ( I've had indexes search in the Essex Record Office and they have always sent me digital scans for a fee, Cornwall Record Office may have a similar system.)

southistle

The marriage licence suggestion is a good idea. They can be very useful indeed. Though there was no marriage found in the Devon or Cornwall marriage indexes.
    And no burials for them in the CFH society burial transcriptions. I had all those checked many years ago.
    I also contacted the CORY Society, and they were not able to help.
    They must have still been in the area when Elizabeth married in 1794 because it seems likely that her father and/or brother were the witnesses.
    Thank you

Wilkes_ml

was there an occupation listed on the daughter's baptisms? Have you actually seen the baptism register, as the original may have extra details such as where they were from?

Knowledgeable and helpful

Are there any CORY wills (all spellings) which relate to the parish of interest? This small family might be mentioned in wills of other relatives. pwholt

southistle

I poured over the microfilms of Southill registers and all of the neighbouring parishes looking for clues. There are no extra helpful details recorded. And no wills for the family. I really am stuck! Thanks for the suggestions.

Wilkes_ml

do Cornwall have their own local wills? I remember when I was searching in kent archives I found local wills that were not under the PCC wills that are now available to view on Ancestry, and probably Find My Past. The problem is there could be Cory families all over England, and some maybe related and they may be mentioned in a will, but the way the probate was set up in the late 1700s, early 1800s there were so many different probate courts, which are not centrally combined and indexed as far as I know.

If your ancestor had an unusual occupation or trade, then that may help if you scoured all the directories, but again, probably not all county directories are available for the time period you are looking at.

southistle

Most local West Country wills met with an accident - I don't recall where or when.

I have found my copy of the baptism of Elizabeth and see that it is from the Bishops Trancripts and the last name is spelled Curry. It is a very small parish only 2 marriages, 7 baptisms and 5 burials in the year.

I haven't found my copy of the marriage of Elizabeth to William Strike but I remember that all four of them signed with very well written signatures, not like my normal ag lab types.

I have no idea from the records that I have found what kind of work Richard did.

southistle

I was wrong about the signatures - I have just looked the marriage up on the Cornwall on line parish clerks (they used a published transcription by a Mr Jago) Elizabeth and one of the Richards made their marks. William and the other Richard signed (Richard COORY)

thewideeyedowl

There is a Cory Family History Society: https://www.corysociety.org.uk/. It is part of a one-name study and covers several spellings of the surname. Click on Cory Ancestors and then navigate to the page for Devon, Cornwall &Wales. Not sure if your folk are there, but you might glean some other useful info.

Owl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast