Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

awesome, i've got a couple on me now that i'll send but i'll go back

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylawless View Post
    Thank you, Pam! I'm starting to research my family as well as the St Florence graveyard so I will probably be making a nuisance of myself here. If Daryl is about, i'll go down and get some good photos. I took what I could earlier but it's quite faded, however you can make out 'Isabella' as well as 'Henry Duncan'. Also a Mary I believe and I can make out the words 'infant son'. Making it a negative helps but probably needs a rubbing. I've actually got to go to a funeral there tomorrow so if the weather is good i'll get them then. Well, after, anyway
    NO, NO NO, she (and everyone else) screams in horror.

No rubbing; only clean if really necessary, and then extremely carefully. I was sure I had at least one link to 'how to clean/photograph headstones' bookmarked but if I did I can't find it. Use a search engine, and anything that says 'use a brush' ignore. It appears that even using just water can cause further damage to a headstone if there are cracks where water has already entered.

One tip I do remember reading is to try photographing the stone from different angles. How the light falls across the lettering can make a big difference.

p.s. I was right about Daryl galloping along fairly quickly. Forty-four minutes after your original post, and from eleven thousand miles away, isn't bad going.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

oh no I don't mean me doing it, I wouldnt know the first thing about it and it's in a wrought iron cage anyway. I did negatives on sunny days to get any writing. Most of the graves here are beyond even that now, and not even the parish knows where they are in the churchyard (Myers grave being a perfect example: it's not in the corner of the churchyard at all). That said, i'm surprised i've not seen people taking it upon themselves to spruce up family graves here, some are huge blocks of snowdrop marble, they'd be glowing in the dark.

Do most parishes have a grave map somewhere? Ours doesn't, but until 180 years ago it was still being used primarily as a barn.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12