Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default St Florence cemetery

I recently turned up the following reference in work attributed to "Mr. Basil H. J. Hughes. BA."
    Under St Florence

"In the north-east corner of the churchyard is a vault containing the remains of members of the family of Capt. Henry Duncan, R.N., who lived at Ivy Tower and Park House, Tenby. Capt. Duncans elder daughter married John Myers. There were three Capt. Henry Duncans in the Royal Navy at the beginning of the nineteenth century. The one referred to on this monument seems to be the officer who was appointed Captain in 1802 and who died in the same year. It appears unlikely that he ever lived in St. Florence."

Is anyone able to visit St Florence and obtain photographs of the 'vault'?
    I am particularly interested in inscriptions. Who do I write to to get any documentation associated with this vault?

John Myers is my 3*great grandfather and he died in Tours in 1869. Are there any Myers buried in St Florence?

Captain Henry Duncan was lost at sea off Newfoundland.

Thanking you in anticipation
    daryl

Brick wall demolition expert!

Myers is a relatively rare name in Pembrokeshire so listed below are Baptisms, Marriages and Burials in Pembrokeshire:

Baptisms

Haverfordwest St. Martin
    1827 Mary Ann Myers baptised 12 Aug; daughter of John and Mary Myers
    Prendergast (Haverfordwest)
    1831 Henry Duncan Myers baptised 20 March; son of John Powell and Mary Anna Myers
    1833 Frederic William Myers baptised 23 May; son of John Powell Matthew and Mary Anna Myers
    St Dogmaels
    1850 William Myers baptised 12 Aug; son of William and Elizabeth Myers
    St Florence
    1835 William Richards Myers baptised 13 Feb; son of John Powell Matthew and Mary Anna Myers
    1836 Fanny Stephenson Myers baptised 22 Nov; daughter of John Powell Matthew and Mary Anna Myers
    1838 Arthur Bowen Richards Myers baptised 4 Sept; son of John Powell Matthew and Mary Anna Myers
    1841 Isabella Duncan Myers baptised 27 Dec; daughter of John Powell Matthew and Mary Anna Myers
    1844 Duncan Myers baptised 18 Sept; son of John Powell Matthew and Mary Anne Myers
    Tenby
    1829 John Duncan Myers baptised 24 Nov; son of John Powell Matthew and Mary Anne Myers

Marriages
    Haroldston St Issell's
    1921 William Henry son of James Woodcock Myers aged 24 married Ethel Rose daughter of Job Thomas aged 23 on 3 December.
    Pembroke Dock, St. John
    1861 Henry son of Henry Myers married Elizabeth daughter of Benjamin Phillips on 10 July
    1862 William son of Robert Myers married Elizabeth daughter of Thomas Wilson 24 May
    1868 Thomas William son of Robert Myers married Susanna daughter of Charles Parker on 2 Nov
    Wiston
    1916 Walter Carter Myers (no father listed) aged 19 married Winifred daughter of Charles Moss aged 25 on 12 February

Burials
    Penally
    1978 George Myers aged 81 was buried 1 May
    St Florence
    1845 Duncan Myers aged 6 months was buried 23 Feb
    1855 John Duncan Myers aged 25 was buried 19 April
    1870 William Twysden Myers aged 35 was buried 7 Jan
    1874 Mary Anna Myers aged 75 was buried 4 Nov

The address for the church in St Florence can be found here:
    https://www.churchinwales.org.uk/stru...rches/?id=2848

This page from Genuki might give you more information:
    https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/PEM/#ChurchRecords

And this is a link to the Dyfed FHS (this includes Pembrokeshire)
    https://www.dyfedfhs.org.uk/

Kia ora Megan
    Wow! What a reply!
    I cannot thank you enough but, nevertheless, THANK YOU!
    daryl

This all ties in nicely with what I have. Not one of the children married in Pembrokeshire and they died in diverse places - India, England, Australia and New Zealand.

Missing burials however are
    Mary Duncan who died in Tenby 1852
    Isabella Duncan who died at Ivy Tower, near Tenby in 1841

I am not sure where they would have been buried

Gradually filling in the blanks
    thanks
    daryl

Brick wall demolition expert!

Mary Duncan aged 79 was buried 15 May 1852 in St. Florence.

Isabella Duncan aged 39 was buried 8 July 1841 in St. Florence.

You might wish to search Welshnewspapers on line https://newspapers.library.wales

eg. reports the death of J P M Meyers, Ivy Tower 1869 or Isabella Duncan Lloyd, daughter, 1874

(note:- if search key more than 1 word, wrap the key in " " to restrict hits returned)
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Daryl,

my bedroom had a doorway onto St Florence churchyard so we were always in there as kids. I was researching something in the village and I saw your post here. I remember the grave but it's quite worn, like most of them here now. I can get you a photo but just checking before I do because the post is 5 years old!

johnny_lawless AT hotmail DOT com

Quote Originally Posted by DBCoup View Post
    I recently turned up the following reference in work attributed to "Mr. Basil H. J. Hughes. BA."
    Under St Florence

"In the north-east corner of the churchyard is a vault containing the remains of members of the family of Capt. Henry Duncan, R.N., who lived at Ivy Tower and Park House, Tenby. Capt. Duncans elder daughter married John Myers. There were three Capt. Henry Duncans in the Royal Navy at the beginning of the nineteenth century. The one referred to on this monument seems to be the officer who was appointed Captain in 1802 and who died in the same year. It appears unlikely that he ever lived in St. Florence."

Is anyone able to visit St Florence and obtain photographs of the 'vault'?
    I am particularly interested in inscriptions. Who do I write to to get any documentation associated with this vault?

John Myers is my 3*great grandfather and he died in Tours in 1869. Are there any Myers buried in St Florence?

Captain Henry Duncan was lost at sea off Newfoundland.

Thanking you in anticipation
    daryl
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 25-02-2021 at 6:25 PM. Reason: Email address disguised to deter spammers

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Johnny,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

Daryl is still an active member of the forum, so I expect he will be galloping along fairly shortly in response to your post.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Kia ora Johnny
    Every now and again something exciting and unexpected comes along. I would very much appreciate any photos you are able to provide. I will email you
    Thanks
    daryl

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you, Pam! I'm starting to research my family as well as the St Florence graveyard so I will probably be making a nuisance of myself here. If Daryl is about, i'll go down and get some good photos. I took what I could earlier but it's quite faded, however you can make out 'Isabella' as well as 'Henry Duncan'. Also a Mary I believe and I can make out the words 'infant son'. Making it a negative helps but probably needs a rubbing. I've actually got to go to a funeral there tomorrow so if the weather is good i'll get them then. Well, after, anyway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast