Default Just can't trace .....

...... the family of an uncle, William James Hewitt, born 1888 in Northern Etchells, which was then in Cheshire, was married in 1914 to Lillian Wood, my aunt, from Gatley, Cheshire........ he was killed 1918 in N. France, aged 30, after joining Cheshire Regiment and then posted to 2nd Leinster Regiment .. rests in Le Cateau British Cemetery, near Cambrai. He is remembered on the memorial which is on Church Road, Gatley locally known as Gatley Green.

I visited his grave in France last month and am anxious to trace any of his current family ... his father was John Hewitt - his mother Mary Emily and had a brother born in 1905 named John James Hewitt.

Their family could still reside in that area of, now, Manchester i.e. Wythenshawe, Gatley / Cheadle.

If anyone can help, or point me in a new direction, I'd be delighted.

Topper

Knowledgeable and helpful

Have you considered submitting your appeal in the form of a "Letter to the Editor" of local newspapers circulating in the areas where you think relatives may be living? Even if they have moved, neighbours may forward the request on.

This would also overcome the difficult of posting details of living people in open forums such as this.

Thanks for that ... yes ......... but I'd like to try here as well as I did have some success some short time ago with another query ..... thanks for your assistance and being so prompt.

Regards Topper

Brick wall demolition expert!

Sometimes you need to work backwards to go forwards ...

I am guessing that your information comes from the 1911 Census:

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Sex Occupation Age Birth year Birth place
    John Hewitt Head Married Male Market Gardener 50 1861 Northen Etchells Ches
    Mary Emily Hewitt Wife Married Female - 38 1873 Stockport Etchells Ches
    William James Hewitt Son Single Male Gardener Domestic 23 1888 Stockport Etchells Ches
    John James Hewitt Son Single Male At School 6 1905 Stockport Etchells

However, you did not look at the original return, which I did when I looked at the age discrepancy between William and his brother, and between him and Mary. The original return shows that John and Mary had only been married 6 years and that they only had 1 child: John James. However, crossed out next to John's name it shows that he had had 4 children all of whom were still living.

So going back to 1901 you find William and his father and mother, ELIZABETH, at Hey Head, Northen Etchells, Bucklow, Cheshire

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
    John Hewitt Head Married Male 39 1862 Gen Farm Labr Cheshire, England
    Elizabeth Hewitt Wife Married Female 34 1867 - Baguley, Cheshire, England
    Edith Hewitt Daughter - Female 15 1886 - Poundswick, Cheshire, England
    Wm Hewitt Son - Male 12 1889 - Poundswick, Cheshire, England
    Ernest Hewitt Son - Male 10 1891 - Cheshire, England
    Wm Davenport Nephew Single Male 25 1876 Gen Farm Labr Baguley, Cheshire, England

Piece 3320, Folio 121, Page 12

You find that Ernest in 1911 is with his grandparents James and Ann Hewitt in Northern Etchells. It probable that Edith married – there are a number of possible marriages.

You need to try and track Ernest, Edith and John James.

Megan - Thank you, that's information I certainly didn't know and quite revealing. Is there any chance that you can lead me to his wife, Lillian Hewitt ( nee Wood ), who was married to William James Hewitt - they lived together at 74, Church Road, Gatley from 1914.

After that, because of J W Hewitt's death in N. France in 1918, the trail has gone cold and the avenues I have found are exhausted .... And I'm now stumped !

Thanks, in anticipation ........ Topper

Brick wall demolition expert!

When was Lillian born?

When are you looking for her?

Banned

I have just noticed Lilian Wood married a James W Hewitt in Bucklow registration district in 1914.

Do you know when Lilian was born or died???

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Just to clarify

Baguley / Poundswick lie on the fringe of Wythenshawe Gt Manchester ( close to the airport) Baguley until the re development was predominatly market gardens, Timperley Rhubarb being grown there. Now swallowed up in the conurbation and airport development.

Etchels is Cheadle & Cheadle Hulme bordering Gatley all part of Stockport

In 1911 William was living on Ringway Road which borders the airport! The road used by locals when travelling form Stockport ot the airport

1911 Lilian WOOD b 1896 was living with her family at Poundswick Northen Etchells, Northen Etchells, Cheshire, 'over the fields' from William!

The marriage in 1914 Lilian WOOD to James W HEWITT was a civil marriage.....presume due to the events of the year.

Brother Ernest HEWITT could have married
    HEWITT Ernest Lovesey Bucklow 8a 499 the LOVESEY family are also market gardeners Grove Lane, Hale, the other side of the airport

Looking at Ernesst in 1911 he can be found with grandparents who have 2 other grandchildren with them GRESTY Jack b 1899 ( another name associated with the market gardens ) & Emily PEARSON b 1901 both Etchels

I think you need to explore the family linked to HEWITT, they all seem to be Market gardeners in and around the pre 1945 Wythenshawe rebuild. Have you looked at trade directory & for information on CPO when the airport started to expand. The other market Gardeners that spring to mind were the Shelmerdines's

A long shot I am sure there is a HEWITT's TV & Radio shop opposite the Tatton in Gatley!

Geneius ...
    .........Thanks for that ... you've added a bit of flesh to the bones I already have .... I used to live not far from the area you describe when I was young, so I know the places pretty well ............
    ... my family ( Wood ) are also from that area ( Poundswick / Northern Etchells ) so it all adds up. I might well try to trace the Hewitt family.

smj7290 ....
    ..............Thanks also ....Lilian was born in 1896.

Grateful thanks Topper

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    ...... the family of an uncle, William James Hewitt, born 1888 in Northern Etchells, which was then in Cheshire, was married in 1914 to Lillian Wood, my aunt, from Gatley, Cheshire........ he was killed 1918 in N. France, aged 30, after joining Cheshire Regiment and then posted to 2nd Leinster Regiment .. rests in Le Cateau British Cemetery, near Cambrai. He is remembered on the memorial which is on Church Road, Gatley locally known as Gatley Green.

I visited his grave in France last month and am anxious to trace any of his current family ... his father was John Hewitt - his mother Mary Emily and had a brother born in 1905 named John James Hewitt.

Their family could still reside in that area of, now, Manchester i.e. Wythenshawe, Gatley / Cheadle.

If anyone can help, or point me in a new direction, I'd be delighted.

Topper
    I know this was posted some time ago, but John James Hewitt was my Grandad. I may be able to help a little.