Charlotte E

Default Thomas (Stanley?) King, Bertha Dearing, m.

Hi looking for more information on Thomas (Stanley?) King and Bertha Dearing I have not been able to find their marriage. ages unknown.

Children are Mabel, Harold and Ronald E.
    Ronald E was born in July 1913 at Bartlett cottages in Purley in the sub district of coulsdon, district of Croydon.

It is possible that Mabel may have been born about 1902 but can't be sure and Harold later but I think before 1911.

Thomas King is listed as a stableman on Ronalds birth certificate.

Thanks

Charlotte.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Charlotte,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

The 1911 census shows the family living at 4 Bartletts Cottages, Purley. Census reference RG14/3273 SN 199
    Tomas (sic), aged 37, born Stanstead, Essex.
    Bertha, 32, born Wadhurst, Sussex.
    Son Cyril, aged 11, was born in Alnwick, Northumberland.
    Mabel, 9, Kenley, Surrey
    Harold, 6, Purley, Surrey
    Wiliam, 4, Purley

They've been married (allegedy ) 12 years and have had 5 chldren, one of whom has died.

Like you, I was unable to find a marriage but then wondered if Bertha had changed her name. Can't say I blame her.
    Marriage March quarter 1899, Tunbridge Wells registration district, Thomas King and Orpha Albertha Dearing.

Pam

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes
    Stanstead, Essex
    Note that Stanstead Abbotts in Hertfordshire was written also as 'Stanstead, Essex'.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes
    unable to find a marriage
    Could they have been common-in-law partners?? Did they seal to spouse??

janbooth

Given the marriage that Pam has found for you, and this is the only Bertha DEARING I have managed to find so far in previous census records, have a look at this one:

1891 census of Tunbridge Wells (RG12/677, folio 66, page 5)
    7 Grove Hill Mews

William DEARING Head Mar 37 Coachman Groom Yorkshire
    Eugiene do Wife Mar 35 Kent Tunbridge Wells
    Bertha do Daur 14 do do
    George do Son 7 do do
    Lydia do Daur 4 do do
    Edie do Daur 1 do do
    Mabel D do Daur 1 month do do

The family are in the 1881 census of Tunbridge Wells but this shows Bertha as Dorcas, judging by the age anyway. William & family are in the 1901 census of Tunbridge Wells but minus Bertha and the names of the children seem to be slightly different, i.e. Lydia is now Clara L and Edie appears to be Elizabeth A and William's wife is now Elizabeth!

Janet

Charlotte E

Thank you Pam and Janet for the welcome and information.

Yes, Pam this is the famliy as 4 Bartletts cottages is on Ronald's certificate. Like you I have also found the marriage at Tunbridge, with Janets information perhaps it would be an idea to check Dorcas. The name Dorcas has popped up in talks with my father so it maybe that she used that name also.

Thanks Janet for the heads up about Stansted.

You have both just made my day.

Charlotte E

Default Thomas and Mary King

Hi ladies with your help I have found some more on the family. I found that Stansted came under Bishops Stortford, Hertfordshire

Thomas is found with his family in the 1881 census.

Charles with his wife Mary and their children

William 11
    George 10
    THOMAS 8
    Rosina 7
    Hester 5
    Florence 4
    Eliza 2
    Sarah 6 months

In the 1901 census

Charles is 57 and Mary 50, They are still in Stansted Essex.
    William 31 is still living with them and is a Groom
    Hester is still with them and is 24
    Then
    Nellie 14
    Stanley 12
    Alice 5.

With Thomas and Bertha I have concluded that they must have married at Tunbridge in 1899 in the January quarter as their son Thomas Cyril is born in the oct, nov, dec quarter. Would really love to know why they went to live in Northumberland where Cyril was born.

Anyway that is as far as I have got for now,

Charlotte.

janbooth

Hi Charlotte,

If you can access Ancestry, you should be able to see Mabel's actual parish register baptismal entry. She was baptised as Dorothy Mabel KING, born 14 May and baptised 23 June 1901 at Coulsden St John, Surrey, daughter of Thomas & Bertha KING of Avenue Lodge, Welcomes Road and Thomas's occupation is shown as "Whipper In". Another baptism, this time at Purley, would seem to confirm the marriage at Tunbridge that Pam found for you:

Born 25? February, baptised 5 April 1903 at Christchurch, Charles Sidney, son of Thomas & Bertha Alpha KING, Purley, "Whipper In". "Alpha" is pretty close to "Orpha" isn't it! And could this be another child: Born 10 March, baptised 7 April 1907 at Christchurch, Purley, William Arthur son of Thomas & Albertha KING, 4 Bartlett's Cottages, Purley, Horsekeeper. Looking for Harold's baptism proved a bit more difficult as it doesn't come up on Ancestry's search engine, but looking through the actual parish register images of Christchurch, Purley, it is there and proves even more informative:

Born 7 February, baptised 24 February 1905 Harold Gordon son of Thomas & Eltha Dorcas Bertha KING, Bartlett's Cotts, Purley, Huntsman.

This baptismal record ticks all the boxes re Bertha's Christian names, doesn't it, and ties up everything very neatly.

Janet

Charlotte E

thanks Jan I looked it up and found Dorothy Mabel King. It definitely makes sense with the Tunbridge marriage.