Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    DianaCanada

Default Carl Hermann Schulz

Am trying to find out more about Carl Hermann Schultz who married Alice Jenny Saul (usually known as Jenny) in Jun Q 1902, in Birmingham. In 1911 I find them living in Conisbrough, Yorkshire, with three daughters. I think they had two more children after this census and possibly a son in Birmingham in 1903. The three daughters found on the 1911 census are Gladys May, Hilda May, and Frances Jenny (listed by her father as Franceska on the census).

I located a marriage for Alice Jenny in Jun 1923 in Pontefract district, Yorkshire, to Laurence Smith. Probate found on Anc** indicates this is indeed my Alice Jenny, as administration given to two eldest daughters with husbands mentioned, and these all match up to marriages in the indexes.

My brickwall is that I cannot find Carl Hermann, b. ca 1873, Schleswig, Germany (census) after the taking of the census, and if the two Schulz children listed for the Doncaster district are theirs, perhaps he is around for a few more years. Then, of course WWI occurs.

I did find his father's name on a indexed marriage record for Carl and Alice Jenny - father was William Frederick. This father's name matches for one Bruno Schulze who was naturalized in Birmingham in 1909 (other than being recorded as Wilhelm Friedrich).

Any advice appreciated.

Banned

Ah, Britain didn't like Germans in the First World War so we assassinated a lot of them! Julian Clary investigated his German ancestor who died this way in WWI on Who Do You Think You Are (the British series). If you do watch this video, forward it to 3:00 and it'll give you a wealth of information about our German assassinations in the Great War. It seems all men of fighting age were to be killed.

In those days after seven years you could assume your spouse was deceased if he/she had disappeared and you'd heard nothing of their whereabouts. You could also remarry. This is the probably the case here.

DianaCanada

This is fascinating! I have probably seen the Julian Clary WDYTYA but don't remember this topic...will nose around YouTube and see if it is there.
    I also found the Bruno Schulze in Birmingham, who might be a relative, arriving in New York in late 1914. Despite being a naturalized British subject, he may have found it unpleasant in England. He was in his 60's too, so brave to pull up stakes and leave.
    I assume if Carl Hermann Schultz was killed, no death would have been recorded?
    I have also checked the British Newspaper Archive and found nothing about Carl.
    Thank you for your help.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DianaCanada View Post
    I assume if Carl Hermann Schultz was killed, no death would have been recorded?
    They were recorded and held in Covent Garden in London, before an incidentary bomb destroyed them in 1940.

Starting to feel at home

German civilians were interned in WW1 not assassinated.

lewisbeels: German civilians were interned in WW1 not assassinated.
    Thank you for the above

This is a link to a book about German detainees in Britain during WW1 including German civilians resident in Britain in 1914 who were subjected to increasing levels of control, however just the synopsis has some interesting information about their experiences.
    Enemy aliens and their internment in various countries during WW1 including Britain is studied in this article. Scroll down to the heading Internment in Imperial Britain↑
    https://encyclopedia.1914-1918-online...and_internment

Many more articles to be found by using a search engine

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

This is the link to The National Archives guide on internees which says "Very few records of individual internees survive for the First World War and The National Archives has no registers of all internees. Some records can be searched online using the name of the internee, but the chances of finding any one person are not high."
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...des/internees/

Christina
    William Burroughs

Julian Clary investigated his German ancestor who died this way in WWI on Who Do You Think You Are (the British series).
    Julian Clary's German ancestor was not assassinated, he wasn't even interred as he was a very ill man and died of TB (consumption) during WW1.

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Julian Clary's German ancestor was not assassinated, he wasn't even interred as he was a very ill man and died of TB (consumption) during WW1.
    Thanks for clarifying this almach

Christina
    William Burroughs

Banned

Yes. I watched it again and saw that he thought his ancestor was, not meaning he necessarily was. I didn't have time to watch it through.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast