Thread: Durie family

alisonc

Default Durie family

I am trying to find the Durie family. I have found my Great Great Grandmother Ann Grace Chalmers 1817 - 1903. I have found her marriage to William Durie born 1812 I think in Maryton by Montrose. I have found a family father John Durie b 1786 married to Anne Carnegie 1786. They had 7 children, Elizabeth, Helen, John, James, William, David & Andrew. I think this is the correct family but am not too sure. No sure how to confirm this. I know My William was a master mariner and I have found a Master & mats certificate for a William Durie born 22/11/1811 Maryton, Forfar. it was issued 15/02/1851. He married Ann Chalmers in 1842 and he is not on any of the Scottish census. Ann his wife moved to Cardiff with her daughter (my Great Grandmother) and is buried in Cathays Cemetery 1903. On her grave stone is she was the wife of Master Mariner W Durie. I cannot find any death for him. I do have quite a few letters from a William Durie and a letter between brothers William and Andrew. I also have headed paper for a company in South Africa for a Durie. Any help would be very gratefully received.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Deaths at Sea 1781 - 1968 has a Wm DURIE died 16th July 1852 on board SS Breese, the home port for which was Montrose. Unfortunately the record does not state his age or rank.
    However, the record is available on FMP with other details, including his ticket number.

Peter

Do you have the marriage record for Ann Chalmers and William Durie? What details does it give?
    If you don't have it it is on ScotlandsPeople it can be downloaded by purchasing some credits. Information on these records varies and ScotlandsPeople does show examples of the OPR Banns and Marriages.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Knowledgeable and helpful

Just to add that Ann Grace DURIE (transcribed as Darie) on the 1851 census is recorded as 'married' and 'seaman's wife', whereas on the 1861 census she is recorded as 'widow'. So William's death in 1852 is feasible.

Peter

With Scottish records, it's cheapest to do a preliminary search on FamilySearch.org - the LDS were allowed to copy pre-1875 records in the days of photocopies rather than scanners. It's sometimes useful to look for siblings. I can only find 3 children born to Durie/Carnegie:

Elizabeth D b. 28 Jul 1806, Bap 3 Aug 1806 Brechin, Angus
    William D b. 24 Nov 1812, bap 22 Nov 1812, Maryton by Montrose
    David Furgusson D b. 20 Sep 1814, bap 2 Oct 1814 Maryton by Montrose

4 more of the kids are under Durrie (spelling was a fuzzy concept back then)
    Helen bap 29 Nov 1807 Maryton by M
    John b 21 May, bap 10 Jun, 1809 Maryton
    James b 12 Mar, bap 24 Mar 1811 Maryton
    Andrew b 19 Dec, bap 22 Dec 1816 Marton

Ann Carnegie's name is listed variously as Ann, Anne and Ane, so it's best to stick with her surname.

You could try a bit of "reverse searching". If it's not their William who died at sea, their boy should turn up elsewhere in the records.. Of course, a negative result doesn't help, but if you found him, you could eliminate this family.

I would look for death certs and census for the younger siblings - surely at least 1 of them lasted past 1855 when BMDs starts?
    Also, check the original records for the baptisms of William and/or one or more subs - hopefully the Minister included Dad's occupation (which might provide another indication as to whether this was a family likely to have produced a seaman good enough to have gained a Master's ticket.

alisonc

Default Ann Chalmers & William Durie

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Do you have the marriage record for Ann Chalmers and William Durie? What details does it give?
    If you don't have it it is on ScotlandsPeople it can be downloaded by purchasing some credits. Information on these records varies and ScotlandsPeople does show examples of the OPR Banns and Marriages.

Christina
    Yes I have the marriage from Scotlands People, they were married 16/01/1842. Unfortunately all it shows is Ann's father, Robert Chalmers, nothing about William's side as it is pre 1855. I guess I will have to write to the chruches in Montrose to see if they will check for me

Many thanks for your input
    Alison

alisonc

Thanks for your input I have my work cut out for me... Onwards and upwards