Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The German version of Wikepedia contains an article on the mansion called Gut Holtigbaum developed from the original land holdings acquired by Julius Simmonds in 1889. The article described Julius Simmonds as born St.Thomas Danish West Indies an American acquired citizenship. In 1891 he had married in Poznan Agnes MOELLER and built in 1892 on the site of the old manor on the border of Schleswig Holstein a luxurious manor ( see photographs of the manor). He spent 500000 marks acquiring and developing the land and property.In 1895 Simmonds had to sell the land and manor for 200000 marks. He divorced in 1897 and his return to New York with his second wife and 5 year old son resulted in him selling the property to Carl Friedrich te Kock.
    There are several other articles on Simmonds and the property.

Phillip

The Hamburg Marriage Certificate for Julius Simmonds and Agnes Moeller 2 September 1891 has an annotation for 1897 indicating possible divorce. Agnes Moeller was born 16 March 1868 Posen- her parents Isaac David Moeller and Hulda WEITH

The UK Naturalisation Paper for Carl Moeller indicates that he is a brother of Agnes. He was 27 single and a Commission Merchant residing at 20 Redcliffe St South Kensington London 13 June 1898 born Posen Prussia

Phillip

Default Percy Simmonds

I have never posted on this site so I am not sure how this works. I am writing because I believe that Edgar Percy Simmonds is my grandfather. I believe that he was married to Anne Lurie before he married Ruth. My mother's father was named Percy Simmonds and was from Hamburg, Germany. He was married to my grandmother for a very short period of time. My mother was born in New Jersey and lived in New York City. My mother never really knew her father. She did tell me that she did have half siblings (from her father), but I do not think that she ever met them. My mother was born in 1918, and the ages of this Percy Simmonds and my grandmother appear to be within 1 year of each other. Do you have any knowledge as to whether the Percy Simmonds in this post is the same Percy Simmonds that is my grandfather? I found a 1920 Census showing that my mother and grandmother were living with my grandmother's parents, so it seems by 1920 Anne and Percy were no longer together. Any information that you have about Percy would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

I live in Colorado, USA.

Ron (email address is rgm AT ihtc DOT com)

Quote Originally Posted by phillip View Post
    The following US Federal Census records show Edgar P Simmonds with his wife and family:
    1930 US Federal Census (Copyright, US National Archives) Roll 1354 Page 29B District 0114 Image 106.0
    Harrison Ave 8th Hudson New Jersey -Rented House Block 659 House 203
    Edgar P Simmonds H M 35 b Germany father b West Indies mother b Germany- Clerk City Hall
    Ruth E Simmonds wife 31 b New Jersey father and mother b England
    Patricia M Simmonds dau 5 years 1 mth b Pennyslvania
    Edgar P Simmonds son 3 years 1 mth

1940 US Federal Census (Copyright, US National Archives)- Ward 9 Jersey City Hudson New Jersey
    Edgar Simmonds H M 45 B NY;Ruth wife 41 b New Jersey; Patricia dau 15 b Pennyslvania; Paul son 13 b New Jersey

Nb The difference in place born for Edgar between the 1930 and 1940 Census is not known but the data indicates that he is the same person.

Phillip
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 04-03-2021 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Email address disguised to deter spammers

I am writing because I believe that Edgar Percy Simmonds is my grandfather. I believe that he was married to Anne Lurie before he married Ruth. My mother's father was named Percy Simmonds and was from Hamburg, Germany. He was married to my grandmother for a very short period of time. My mother was born in New Jersey and lived in New York City. My mother never really knew her father. She did tell me that she did have half siblings (from her father), but I do not think that she ever met them. My mother was born in 1918, and the ages of this Percy Simmonds and my grandmother appear to be within 1 year of each other. Do you have any knowledge as to whether the Percy Simmonds in this post is the same Percy Simmonds that is my grandfather? I found a 1920 Census showing that my mother and grandmother were living with my grandmother's parents, so it seems by 1920 Anne and Percy were no longer together. Any information that you have about Percy would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

I live in Colorado, USA.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello Ron,

A while ago and following through various Ancestry records and ran into Edgar P. Simmonds marriage to Anne Lurie and daughter Dorothy E., married to A. Mindell. The connection is imminent. Further exciting news, as you might surmise from the thread, is that your ancestral path has been traced backwards to the 1700's (6 generations). your 2x Grandfather Coleman Simmonds was an avid businessman in St. Thomas, DWI, he entered into a partnership with Simon Hauer (his cousin from Hamburg and my 3xG uncle), and they established a trading company that thrived in the latter part of the 1800's, the Simmonds, Edwards Co. A few years ago I ran into a British researcher who by chance found a photo in an antiques market of the Coleman Simmonds children, including your Great Grandfather Julius as a child, and his siblings. The house in Hamburg looks real nice, you should check out the Wiki article and photos. You have distant relatives all over the world, and I will send you some info via e-mail. Glad to meet you. --Art

Quote Originally Posted by Simmonds View Post
    I am writing because I believe that Edgar Percy Simmonds is my grandfather. I believe that he was married to Anne Lurie before he married Ruth. My mother's father was named Percy Simmonds and was from Hamburg, Germany. He was married to my grandmother for a very short period of time. My mother was born in New Jersey and lived in New York City. My mother never really knew her father. She did tell me that she did have half siblings (from her father), but I do not think that she ever met them. My mother was born in 1918, and the ages of this Percy Simmonds and my grandmother appear to be within 1 year of each other. Do you have any knowledge as to whether the Percy Simmonds in this post is the same Percy Simmonds that is my grandfather? I found a 1920 Census showing that my mother and grandmother were living with my grandmother's parents, so it seems by 1920 Anne and Percy were no longer together. Any information that you have about Percy would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

I live in Colorado, USA.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12