Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 571 moseley road birmingham

hi is there anyway i can find out who lived in 571 moseley road birmingham in 1923.
    thanks

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

From what I can gather (because when I type 'electoral rolls' into the Library of Birmingham website I get rubbish results) the information is held at the Library. If you ignore the bit at the top which says 'the library is closed' because they're referring to the old library, scroll down and it says that the rolls for 1920 onwards are in print (books)
    https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/electoral-registers

Remember that the roll will only list people entitled to vote, not whole families, and in 1923 only women over the age of 30 were entitled to vote.

It will probably need a personal visit from you or a friend to access the information though if you don't live locally then it's worth asking if the library staff could do a look-up. Though be aware that there might be a charge for this. If that is the case then you have to think of how much it would cost you to go yourself, and paying ten or fifteen quid could be way cheaper.
    https://www.libraryofbirmingham.com/a...n/introduction

Pam

Famous for offering help & advice

You could try birminghamhistory.co.uk they are a free forum site.The members there helped me when requesting look ups on the electoral roll.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    in 1923 only women over the age of 30 were entitled to vote.
    This is incorrect! 1918 was when women over 30 years of age were entitled to vote in parliamentary elections.

May I also remind you of one thing - people who were entitled to vote may not have registered to vote, so they will not be listed on electoral registers.

Quote Originally Posted by smj7290 View Post
    This is incorrect! 1918 was when women over 30 years of age were entitled to vote in parliamentary elections.
    Sorry, but what I said was correct. I didn't say 'women over 30 were given the vote in 1923'.
    The OP was referring to a specific year, and I merely said that in 1923 a woman would have to be over 30 before she could vote.

Pam

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    in 1923 a woman would have to be over 30 before she could vote.
    Yep, my mistake, Pam. Reading back at your post, I see what you meant now. When I first read it, I interpreted as you were saying women gained the vote in 1923, in which the nature of my post means.

Famous for offering help & advice

1922 .571 Moseley Rd,Albert Edward Cleeton and Louisa Cleeton

Back of 571 . Albert and Kate Cottrell.

Having a problem with Ancestry finding the address in 1923.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamelawagster View Post
    1922 .571 Moseley Rd,Albert Edward Cleeton and Louisa Cleeton

Back of 571 . Albert and Kate Cottrell.

Having a problem with Ancestry finding the address in 1923.
    Someone is more familiar with some of the collections on Ancestry than I am.

Pam

Valued member of Brit-Gen

The entry for 1922 adds that the "abode " of the Cleetons was 36 Chestnut road, moseley, so presumably they were the owners , not the occupants. The Cottrells were presumably the occupants of back 571, as nothing else is noted. In the 1921 Kellys directory 571 Moseley road is listed as being Albert Edward Cleeton, ham & beef shop. Presumably the front (no 571) was the shop, but they lived in the back

Banned

If the thread starter is still checking B-G forums, we should discover if this was what she hoped for!

I have a similar case of some ancestors in Derbyshire. A sibling of my ancestor used to live below a house (because in Derbyshire it's quite rural and hilly) and had a pig sty, and worked as a grocer. When I went to try and locate his old place (which I used to visit as a child), it had changed so much that I couldn't decipher it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast