Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default Parents of Hugh Nicholl and Sarah Crawford?

My research has shown that Hugh Nicholl (1848 or 1852 to 1921) and Sarah Catherine Crawford (1851 to 1929) were indeed married and produced many children who themselves produced children...but this is as high up as I have been able to go in the tree.

One fellow published his tree, which goes higher, but I'm not entirely sure about the reliability.

https://www.
    genealogy.com/ftm/m/a/c/Dan-P-Mackinnon-1/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-0270.html

(I'm just linking to a page that's available in public non-member searches so hopefully that won't cause any issues as I haven't cut and pasted anything?)

Anyway, this fellow has the parents of Hugh Nicholl (he seems to use Nicholl and Nicholls interchangeably) as:

Hugh Nicholl(s) and Margaret Thompson (1826-1917).

Parents of this Margaret Thompson as: William James Thompson and Mary Ann Thompson (1789 Donegal Ireland - 1888 Canada).

He also has the parents of Sarah Catherine Crawford as George Crawford (1820-1857) and Jane Harron (1827-1905).

All I really know for sure is that Hugh Nicholl (1848/1852-1921) and Sarah Crawford (1851-1929) at the bottom of this tree are legitimate, and he is correct about their array of children (Harriet, Florence, George, etc.), though I don't know who was a Nicholl vs a Nicholls by that point in time.

I don't have Ancestry but does anyone have any advice as to determining the accuracy of these upper branches?

Any help is appreciated.
    Last edited by Lesley Robertson; 22-09-2015 at 9:55 AM. Reason: URL deactivated

Marriage - Hugh Nichole
    Age 24
    born Wellesley, Ontario about 1851
    Marriage Date - 17 Dec 1875
    Marriage County or district - Perth
    Father - Hugh Nichole
    Mother - Margaret Nichole
    Spouse - Sarah Crawford
    age 23
    Spouse born Mornington c1852
    Father -George Crawford
    mother - Jane Crawford

The witnesses were George Crawford and Mary Ann Crawford, both of Mornington No relationships given.
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

1871 census
    Mornington, Perth North, Ontario
    Hugh Nichol 47 born Ireland religion Baptist Occupation Farmer
    Margaret 42 born Ireland
    James 22
    Hugh 20
    Mary Ann 18
    George 16
    Sarah 15
    Elizabeth 14
    Agnes 13
    Margaret 11
    William John 9
    Charlotte 7
    Harriet 5
    Thomas E 4
    Ellen 2
    Mary Ann Thompson 82 born Ireland Baptist

All children born Ontario
    William Burroughs

From the Findagrave site
    Millbank Methodist
    Perth County
    Ontario, Canada
    Hugh Nichol
    Birth 31 October 1824
    Death 27 November 1912Born in Ireland.
    Died in Preston (Cambridge), Waterloo County, Ontario, Canada.

Wife Margaret Thompson Nichol
    Born Oct. 31, 1824
    Died Nov. 27, 1912 in Preston (Cambridge), Waterloo County, Ontario, Canada.
    Born Ireland
    William Burroughs

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    From the Findagrave site
    Millbank Methodist
    Perth County
    Ontario, Canada
    Hugh Nichol
    Birth 31 October 1824
    Death 27 November 1912Born in Ireland.
    Died in Preston (Cambridge), Waterloo County, Ontario, Canada.

Wife Margaret Thompson Nichol
    Born Oct. 31, 1824
    Died Nov. 27, 1912 in Preston (Cambridge), Waterloo County, Ontario, Canada.
    Born Ireland
    Now this is an interesting find. Some of the info doesn't quite line up with what I have. It could be the same people, but what led you to them?

Going just by FindAGrave's info, there are a few discrepancies. They aren't fatal but I hope to reconcile them.

FindAGrave says the following:
    Margaret Thompson NicholLS (Oct. 31, 1824 - Nov. 27, 1912)
    - The 1871 census stuff (NichoLE) says she was 42 in 1871, thus born around 1829)
    Hugh NicholLS (b. 1824 - Date of death not known, according to the tombstone?)
    - This year of birth lines up with the Hugh NichoLE that was on the 1871 census at age 47.

Just wondering, what is with Hugh not even having a death date, and the birth year for Margaret being the same as Hugh's? Could they have died close together and people just kind of gave a half-effort on figuring things out for the tombstone?

Any ideas on how to verify that this was the right people or reconcile the discrepancies?

On the FindAGrave site, despite the dearth of info on the tombstone, it offers that Hugh was born in County Tyrone, Ireland, a specific detail I haven't seen offered anywhere else (just "Ireland").

It also has him dying in Wellesley, Ont. and her in Preston, Ont. Towns quite close together, but an odd level of detail when they don't even have Hugh's death year?

Hi
    Ignore my previous posting on the burials I have taken another look at the Findagrave site
    I remember yesterday thinking the entry was a bit weird.
    So for Hugh Nicholls the transcript says
    born 1824 in County Tyrone Ireland
    No death date recorded.
    Died in Wellesley Township, Waterloo County, Ontario, Canada
    Buried Millbank Perth County Ontario, Canada

Margaret Thompson Nicholls
    Born Oct. 31, 1824 Ireland
    Died in Preston (Cambridge), Waterloo County, Ontario, Canada
    Buried Millbank Perth County Ontario, Canada

So they are buried in the same cemetery but died in different towns. Maybe one or both were living with one of their children when they died or was in a care home? The entries are done by volunteers and can be edited by others if they log in so that may have happened here.

It was the information in your original post that that led me to this family.

Christina
    William Burroughs

This census gives the ages on their next birthday not how old they are at the time of the census. Also remember that people weren't as fussed about their age as we are now.
    The transcription of this census has the surname as Nickole but the image does say Nicholl -just easy to misinterpret if you don't know what you are looking for. So the use of wildcard eg Nic*ol* brings it up.
    Wellesley, Waterloo, Canada West
    Hugh Nicholl 37 Farmer born Ireland
    Margaret 33 Ireland
    James 13
    Hugh 11
    Mary Ann 9
    George 7
    Elizabeth 6
    Margaret Jane 1
    all children born Canada All the family are Baptists.

Hugh and Margaret say they married in 1848.

You have to look at Margaret's entry closely because the enumerator has used the shortened version of her name Marg with a t to the upper right of the g so it can look like Mary. The same for her daughter age 1.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Starting to feel at home

Interesting stuff and much appreciated. I'm taking what has been provided in this thread to be the real deal and I'm now looking at what that other guy has on his tree from Ancestry and trying to determine if any of it can be independently confirmed. Some of his references are just "ancestry trees."

I'm trying to figure out now if any of his claims can be verified...the most important of them being:

The Jane who married George Crawford and produced Sarah Crawford (who married High Nicholl) was supposedly Jane HARRON.
    He claims she was Jane Harron (1827 - May 24 1905) born in Drumhory Ireland and died in Emo, Ontario.

The 82 year old Mary Anne Thompson living with the Nicholls in the 1871 census (presumably the mother of Margaret Thompson who became Margaret Nicholl) is claimed to have the following vitals:
    Born: 1789 Donegal, Ireland and Died: Feb. 28, 1888, Bruce, Ont. (cites only Ancestry family trees)
    Does any person with these dates match up / link to the Nicholl family by another source?

I have no information on the husband of this Mary Anne Thompson, but this fellow's tree says that he is:
    William James Thompson, born in Donegal, Ireland. (died date unknown in Donegal)
    (Ancestry trees is the only reference again)

Anyway, these are the head-scratchers I'm working on at the moment...

Wellesley, Waterloo County, Canada West (Ontario)
    Hugh Nichol Farmer, Baptist, age next birthday 27 born Ireland
    Margaret age next b'day 21
    Jane 3 next b'day

What we need is Hugh and Margaret's marriage record but we don't know if they married in Ireland before emigrating to Canada or met and married in Canada or Hugh went out first and Margaret followed.
    I have looked in Canada but no success as yet.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Banned

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by TreeSquirrel View Post
    Just wondering, what is with Hugh not even having a death date, and the birth year for Margaret being the same as Hugh's? Could they have died close together and people just kind of gave a half-effort on figuring things out for the tombstone?
    Back then, education was very rare, even for the rich. You had to pay a fee to have any sort of education - not ideal if you were living on and under the poverty line. Because of this, many people became illiterate (cannot read or write) and didn't even know their own birth year and age!!

By what I've seen from all the posts, it seems Hugh was pretty persistent on 1824 born but I do see there is no month or day listed. This is the first stage of illiteracy - unaware of your own birth date, place & age.

I must say you are very lucky that you know he was born in County Tyrone of Ireland. Generally to find an Irish person's birthplace is quite a task, and I had such a brickwall when finding my ancestor's birthplace in Ireland.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast