Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

by smj7290
    Back then, education was very rare, even for the rich. You had to pay a fee to have any sort of education - not ideal if you were living on and under the poverty line. Because of this, many people became illiterate (cannot read or write) and didn't even know their own birth year and age!!
    I think this is a very sweeping statement so a few sites to help qualify what educational resources were available.

These sites give a general indication of the availability of education and who could take advantage of what was offered.
    America early 1800's onwards
    https://
    reformmovements1800s.weebly.com/education.html
    https://www.
    chesapeake.edu/Library/EDU_101/eduhist_19thC.asp
    landofthebrave.info/colonial-education.htm

Uk
    weasteheritagetrail.co.uk/Resources/childrens-education-in-the-1800s/index.htm
    educationengland.org.uk/history/chapter01.html
    educationengland.org.uk/history/chapter02.html

Canada
    thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/history-of-education/
    erpjournal.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/ERPV35-2_MacKay-B.-Firmin-M.-2008.-The-historical-development-of-private-education.pdf

A list of the earliest universities around the world
    https://
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oldest_universities_in_continuous_operatio n

A fascinating subject.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by smj7290 View Post
    Back then, education was very rare, even for the rich.
    That is a very sweeping statement, and also I think a very wrong one. Correct for the 1500s, but not for the 1800s, and possibly not even the 1700s. If education was 'so rare' how do you think people such as Captain James Cook, a farm labourer's son managed to do what he did? He was fortunate to have his father's employer pay for him to go to school, but I'm sure that this was a far from isolated case. Without people being educated we would not have had the Industrial Revolution which began about 1760.

You had to pay a fee to have any sort of education - not ideal if you were living on and under the poverty line.
    I suggest you read up about Sunday schools which were originally founded in the 1780s to give working-class children an education. e.g. https://www.
    christianitytoday.com/ch/asktheexpert/whendidsundayschoolstart.html

Because of this, many people became illiterate (cannot read or write)
    Being pedantic, you don't 'become' illiterate. You're born illiterate, and as you get older (and educated) you become literate.

and didn't even know their own birth year and age!!
    As Chris has already said, in those days there wasn't the obsession with form-filling that there is nowadays, so 'date of birth' wasn't a question asked probably even once a year, let alone almost every day.
    And I'm sure I'm not the only person who has (genuinely) given the wrong age when asked how old they are. (I said I was 23 and I'd had my 24th birthday two months earlier.)

By what I've seen from all the posts, it seems Hugh was pretty persistent on 1824 born but I do see there is no month or day listed. This is the first stage of illiteracy - unaware of your own birth date, place & age.
    If Hugh was 'pretty persistent' about being born in 1824 then he must have been aware of his age.

I must say you are very lucky that you know he was born in County Tyrone of Ireland. Generally to find an Irish person's birthplace is quite a task, and I had such a brickwall when finding my ancestor's birthplace in Ireland.
    And had a general idea of where he was born. Again, this goes back to the standard of the times when a precise place wasn't asked for. Even 'England' was regarded as accurate enough on the American census.

Pam

1.The Jane who married George Crawford and produced Sarah Crawford (who married High Nicholl) was supposedly Jane HARRON.
    He claims she was Jane Harron (1827 - May 24 1905) born in Drumhory Ireland and died in Emo, Ontario.
    I knew the name Harron/Herran rang a bell
    In the 1851 census -my post #9 there are 3 Herron persons entered on the page immediately above Hugh and Margaret.
    John 24, William 27 and Martha 17 All born Ireland
    Coincidence?

Christina
    William Burroughs

Just something I found on familysearch.org - the original image of death report in the County of Bruce for Elizabeth Garland age 65(married) daughter of Hugh Nicholl and Margaret Thompson. Both parents born County Tyrone. The informant was Mrs. Oatley, sister of the deceased.

To find Canadian records and be able to view the images you need to signup to familysearch.org. it doesn't cost anything.
    Then go to the map on the search page and click on Canada. I found this death record for Elizabeth by entering her father's name. There are more details than I have given.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Just something I found on familysearch.org - the original image of death report in the County of Bruce for Elizabeth Garland age 65(married) daughter of Hugh Nicholl and Margaret Thompson. Both parents born County Tyrone. The informant was Mrs. Oatley, sister of the deceased.

To find Canadian records and be able to view the images you need to signup to familysearch.org. it doesn't cost anything.
    Then go to the map on the search page and click on Canada. I found this death record for Elizabeth by entering her father's name. There are more details than I have given.

Christina
    If the FBI hasn't yet tried to recruit you, they should.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by TreeSquirrel View Post
    If the FBI hasn't yet tried to recruit you, they should.
    Love it, TreeSquirrel.

Pam

Starting to feel at home

I knew the name Harron/Herran rang a bell
    In the 1851 census -my post #9 there are 3 Herron persons entered on the page immediately above Hugh and Margaret.
    John 24, William 27 and Martha 17 All born Ireland
    Coincidence?

Christina
    That's a very sharp memory to recall that. I THINK the Harron I'm looking at it is over on another branch of things and it is probably just a coincidence, but I'm going to try to sharpen up with a coffee or two and double check. Thanks for looking into that.

Starting to feel at home

Christina
    This actually lines up with an Elizabeth I have in my files. I think you've hit the jackpot.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

HI Treesquirrel - I may have some information on Mary Anne Thompson. On your last posting 22 09 2015 you stated that the 1871 census(presumably the mother of Margaret Thompson who became Margaret Nicholls) I am wondering where you got this information. you site her death at Feb 28 1888 Bruce, Ontario. I have found her in the Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid OCFA and it lists Mary A Thompson(Reid) cemetery Douglas Hill, County Bruce, Township Brant reference number BG-B-024. Any info would be appreciated,

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

HI - I may have some information on Mary Anne Thompson. On your last posting 22 09 2015 you stated that the 1871 census(presumably the mother of Margaret Thompson who became Margaret Nicholls) I am wondering where you got this information. you site her death at Feb 28 1888 Bruce, Ontario. I have found her in the Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid OCFA and it lists Mary A Thompson(Reid) cemetery Douglas Hill, County Bruce, Township Brant reference number BG-B-024. Any info would be appreciated,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12