Starting to feel at home

Default Info for John Drummond, Scotland

Info for John Drummond, Scotland

John Roy (1770) of James Roy (1748) & Sarah Malloch (1748) married Katherine Drummond (1773) of John Drummond, St Cuthberts,Edinburgh, Scotland in 1794.
    John Roy's (1770) siblings: Isobel Roy (1768), Alexander Roy (1772), Sarah Roy (1775), & Elizabeth Roy (1778), who Married Thomas Hogg. This Thomas Hogg must be the origin of the name for Thomas Hogg Matthew, son of William Matthew (1796) &Margaret Roy (1795 – 1854).

Children of John Roy (1770) & Katherine Drummond (1773):
    1.Name: Margaret Roy Gender: Female Birth Date: 27 Mar 1795 Baptism Date: 3 Apr 1795 Baptism Place: Saint Cuthberts, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland Father: John Roy Mother: Katharine Drummond FHL Film Number: 1066755 Reference ID: 2:17RPBBK. Margaret Roy (1795) married William Matthew (1796). Margaret Roy died in 1854, East London.

2.Name: John Roy Gender: Male Birth Date: 4 May 1797 Baptism Date: 5 May 1797 Baptism Place: Saint Cuthberts, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland Father: John Roy Mother: Katharine Drummond FHL Film Number: 1066755 Reference ID: 2:17RQHK1

3.Name: James Roy Gender: Male Birth Date: 23 Aug 1799 Baptism Date: 28 Aug 1799 Baptism Place: Saint Cuthberts, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland Father: John Roy Mother: Katharine Drummond FHL Film Number: 1066755 Reference ID: 2:17RRR01.

4.Name: Katharine Roy Gender: Female Baptism Date: 8 Aug 1800 Baptism Place: Saint Cuthberts, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland Father: John Roy Mother: Katharine Drummond FHL Film Number: 1066755, 0103058.

5.Name: James Roy Gender: Male Baptism Date: 1 Dec 1802 Baptism Place: St.Cuthberts, Edinburgh, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland Father: John Roy Mother:Katherine Drummond FHL Film#1066755 Reference ID:2:17RTCTD.

Margaret Roy (1795-1854) of John Roy (1770) & Katherine Drummond (1773) married William Matthews (1796) of William Matthews & Katherine Malcomb.
    Margaret Roy & William Matthew's Known Children: William Stuart Matthew (1817 – abt. 1855), Caroline Matthew (1819 – 1896), Ellen Gore Matthew (1829 – 1881), Eleanor Matthew ( 1831), Jane or Janet Matthew (1833), Thomas Hogg Matthew (1836 – 1902), Mary Ann Matthew (1838 – 1900).

I am trying to find a Birth record & Marriage record for John Drummond, father of Katherine Drummond (1773). Katherine Drummond Married John Roy in 1794 at St Cuthberts, Scotland.
    Thanks in advance.
    Maggieoo

What does the Drummond/Roy marriage entry say? Are they of that parish, or from elsewhere? Does it mention occupations?
    These are not rare names - you'll need every scrap of info you can find in order to pick your folk out of e crowd.

Don't forget that before 1855 inScotland, we depend on Church records. Not only could each Minister decide how much info would be recorded (in an extreme case I have one marriage entry where the name of the bride isn't given!), but many registers haven't survived.

As a long shot, it's maybe worth remembering that although most people died quite young in our terms, some people did go into their 90s, so it might be worth trying for them in the early death certificates and 41/51 census returns. You never know.

Starting to feel at home

Hi Lesley,
    Below is the Marriage Record for John Roy and Catherine Drummond that I have. How can I use this info? Thanks.
    Maggie

Name: Catherine Drummond
    Marriage Date: 16 May 1794
    Marriage Place: Saint Cuthberts,Edinburgh,Midlothian,Scotland
    Father: John Drummond
    Spouse: John Roy
    FHL Film Number: 1066757, 0103065
    Cancel

Is this from a transcription? There is sometimes more information in the actual record (not always, though). Scotland's People has digitized the registered and, for a small charge, you can download a copy of he page.
    It might just say "both of this parish", which means that they were both registered members of hat church (not that they were born in that parish). If you're lucky, it'll say "daughter of YYY" or give occupations. You never know.
    If you go to the General Scottish forum, there's a few posts at the top about the assorted sources for Scottish information.

Starting to feel at home

Hi Lesley,
    The info that I posted came from the Scottish Records in Ancestry.ca International of which I am a member. Does Scotland's People provide additional info to what I get from Ancestry?
    Thanks for all your info.
    Maggieoo

Depends if what you have is a transcription or not, as I asked. The actual records will be hand written.
    Read my message again, it outlines what you might, or might not find.
    I also have some detailed messages at the top of the General Scottish forum.

Starting to feel at home

Here is Scotlands People original of Marriage between John Roy & Catherine Drummond of John Roy. Still stuck. Any hints in Record?
    Maggie