Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    draemdaniels

I apologize I did find some info on find my past when they had a free weekend. John had a sister Ann who married Edward Haines in Bishopstrow which is not far from Corsham. In the 1851 census there is a Sarah Daniels living with them she is Edwards mother in law. Ann is listed as born in Northampton. I then found her birth record and it listed her father as Robert and his occupation as soldier same as John and Jane's wedding record. Sarah was listed as born Colchester Essex about 1776.
    John, Ann and George Turner are the only siblings I know of for sure. They all immigrated to Canada and when John and Jane died their children were taken in by some of the relatives but the two youngest were put into the Hamilton Orphans Asylum. I have not found any immigration records to this point either. I do not know if John and Jane came directly from France or returned to England then came over.
    George Turner married Rebecca Quance from Devon but I have not found a marriage record for them. I do not know if they were married in England or Canada. Their oldest child born in 1846 was born in Ontario Canada so they must have come here first.
    Ann's children were born in England until 1852 then in 1857 had one born in Canada.
    seems even though I though I gave all the information there is still more I did not share. this might help broaden it for you thank you for your interest and assistance.

Dennis

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by draemdaniels View Post
    I do not know if John and Jane came directly from France or returned to England then came over.
    Well Cherbourg was the main northern port of France which went to the US (Ellis Island I would imagine) from UK then went on to Canada. This route was the most common, but wasn't used constantly. A route from Liverpool or Southampton went directly to Montreal.

Such a shame they didn't invent the underwater tunnel until many years later!! Despite working on the railway there was no way to make it from one country to one across the channel by train then.

Starting to feel at home

I doubt they sailed from Cherbourg as it was a military port at the time. Similarly they would not have arrived at Ellis Island as that too was a military port until 1892. There were routes from Le Havre to New York port.

K9ARO

If you look under "European Countries" section which is towards the bottom of the page on https://familytimeline.webs.com/apps/links/ you will find several French Provincial archives of the various areas where you can view their records many are in image form and all are free to search/view

Knowledgeable and helpful

I did some research for a UK-based cousin trying to track down the death of is grandfather in France. I live in France.

If you know the place where your ancestors were born you could write to the 'Mairie' (town hall) for that place. They often have the records going back quite a while or will refer you to the Departemental Archives (County Archives). When I approached the Mairie for my cousin they sent me the records and some other documents for the princely sum of €2.

When someone is born in France the birth is registered with the Departement but the local Mairie will also keep a note. When that child grows up and marries the marriage is entered in the record. Similarly, when they die so you can often get their whole life in just one place.

If you get documents and need help with translating I would be willing to look at them. I'm not fluent but have two grown up children who are so have a useful resource.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12