Thread: Graves

Loves to help with queries

Default Graves

Hello again everyone.
    I will finally be going back to West Bromwich for the first time in 44 years. While there I hope to find the graves of my ancestors. Can anyone give me an idea on how I can start hunting before going over?

Shay

Wilkes_ml

It depends on where the graves are located. I'd contact the local county council's cemetery & crematoriums department first, as they are usually able to search their registers and give you a plot number, occupants of the grave, grave owner etc. However, they can not tell you whether there is a headstone or not. I've been fortunate to just turn up at a cemetery and find a groundsman on site with access to the records, who was then able to show me the plot locations, but I bet this is rare.

edited: https://www.sandwell.gov.uk/info/2001...ey_crematorium maybe drop them an email

Secondly, check out the relevant Family history society for monumental inscription indexes. These may give you an idea where your ancestors are buried, if they did have a gravestone.

Wilkes_ml

Staffordshire burial index is also on Find My Past, if you have access to it.

Thanks Wilkes_ml. I'll give it a try. I don't have Find my past anymore, maybe I'll start up With them again.

Starting to feel at home

Try a forum called West Bromwich Photos (just google it)
    Really helpful & knowledgeable people - & reading some of the old posts will probably bring back some memories!
    Good luck & enjoy your visit

Auburn

Quote Originally Posted by auburn View Post
    Try a forum called West Bromwich Photos (just google it)
    Really helpful & knowledgeable people - & reading some of the old posts will probably bring back some memories!
    Good luck & enjoy your visit

Auburn
    Thanks Auburn, I've been on there.

Flossy

You may be able to find some leads via the local family history society, as they have many records of bmds covering the West Midlands area. I think they charge for their services, but you might want to make an initial contact, to see if they have anything that could be helpful to you. Here's a link to the part of their site that may be a start: https://www. bmsgh.org/bc_burials_Index.html (split because they charge for stuff; hopefully a mod will help to sort out how best to refer)