Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Brick wall demolition expert!

It would be very useful if the original poster could give us some feed back on the posts that have been made so far.

In particular if he has seen the marriage certificate for Mary Jane and Frederick in 1893, and how that describes their "condition" - spinster, widow, bachelor, widower etc. If Mary Jane is listed as a spinster, is there any reference on that certificate to the name "Graham".

The other thing that would be good to know is how does he know that Frederick Greatorex was the father of all the children named Graham? That would help us in trying to unravel this mystery.

Assuming that we have identified the right parties, my guess would be that she was his mistress, and that he eventually married her when able to do so. In the 1871 census she describes herself as the wife of a Lieutenant, so perhaps she did not know that he was then a Captain.

When Frederick Greatorex died in 1907, his estate was valued at £91,697 – a huge sum of money, and probate was granted to Mary Jane. It would be worth getting a copy of his will, as when she died her estate was under £2,000. It will cost £10, and can be applied for on line at: https://www.gov.uk/search-will-probate

There is a family tree on Ancestry which would be well worth looking at: “lyman Dixon Family Tree”: owner – Andrew Lee. As an overview this goes back many generations to a Richard Greatorex 1595-1663. There don’t appear to be any source documents for this, so it needs to be treated cautiously, but possibly the tree owner has source documents that he hasn’t shared on line.

These is another family tree on Ancestry which might be of interest to you “Graham Family Tree (1)” : owner: janiceamygraham. This one seems to have some information about Mary Jane and Frederick’s descendants.

I think I saw last night that three of Mary Jane's sons were in a boarding school in 1871???? (my memory is failing me!). If so, someone must have funded their education, question is who?

I still wonder why she was known as Graham and moved from the north to Kent, one reason could be of course that she married a Mr Graham (possibly Robert, I too saw that marriage and did mean to look for RG on census returns but ran out of time) and if Mr Graham was also an Army man t'would explain Kent.

Details of a will (I'll be brief as little time) Dundee Evening Telegraph 06 October 1877

Jeremiah Greatorex, late of Aldermanbury, city, sworn under £200, 000. Residue to son Frederic and daughters Mrs Cooke, Mrs Robertson and Emily Greatorex.

Other mentions in newspapers, but as I said I have little time now.

Mary Fenwick married Robert Graham April quarter 1864 Newcastle upon Tyne Volume 10b Page 85.
    Do we know that's definitely the pairing from the names indexed?

There's lots of stuff about Jeremiah Greatorex on the internet. I googled "Jeremiah Greatorex" Aldermanbury.

We are though moving away from the query: i.e. who is Mary Jane Fenwick.

OK, have to get ready now for an afternoon appointment. I hope the O.P. responds soon, as then well learn what he does and doesn't know.

I think I saw last night that three of Mary Jane's sons were in a boarding school in 1871???? (my memory is failing me!). If so, someone must have funded their education, question is who?
    Not 1871 but 1881, RG11; Piece: 3423; Folio: 117; Page: 11;
    All three boys scholars, born Whitstable.
    Bradley Lodge, Ashbourne Derbyshire
    Fred Graham 11
    Harry Graham 10
    George Graham 7

Can't help myself busying around records.

In 1881 Mary Graham has a daughter Ethel age 4.

Name: Ethel Graham
    Spouse: Hugh Mortimer Gam or Gann
    Record Type: Marriage
    Event Date: 13 Feb 1900
    Parish: St Michael and All Angels, Paddington
    Borough: Westminster
    Father Name: Frederick Graham (army retired)
    Spouse Father: Henry Gam

There's a divorce record on Ancestry 1908.

And a second marriage

Name: Henry C Davey
    Spouse Surname: Genn Or Graham
    Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1917
    Registration district: St Martin
    Inferred County: London
    Volume Number: 1a
    Page Number: 1276

1901 Class: RG13; Piece: 798; Folio: 131; Page: 4
    Hugh M Gann 26
    Ethel Gann 24

Almach - you and me both can't stop looking around!!

One of the children identified by the family trees mentioned in my earlier post was Alexander Cecil Graham who was born about 1880 (although I can’t see a birth registration for him) and who was killed in France 12 Sept 1916. His probate entry values his estate at only £589. To me that reinforces the need to get Frederick Greatorex’s will to see where the money went to.

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    Almach - you and me both can't stop looking around!!

One of the children identified by the family trees mentioned in my earlier post was Alexander Cecil Graham who was born about 1880 (although I can’t see a birth registration for him) and who was killed in France 12 Sept 1916. His probate entry values his estate at only £589. To me that reinforces the need to get Frederick Greatorex’s will to see where the money went to.

Yes, Megan, I do agree - Frederick's will is important

Alexander age 1 is on the 1871 census with his mother, and Ethel age 4. I've seen on Ancestry baptisms for Ethel 1876 and a Lily Gertrude Graham 1878 in Kingston, parents Mary Jane Graham and Frederick, but no baptism for Alexander! On those baptisms Frederick, the father, is described as a silk merchant which I think is his father's (Jeremiah) profession.

Another point to mention, Mary on one census (can't remember if 1871 or 1881) describes herself as wife of a Railway shareholder.

All extremely odd, as Mary so far as I've established is not found on any census with Frederick.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast