Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default theophilus nicholson vanished & arrest record

I've been trying to find theophilus Nicholson b. 1794 skeckling with burstwick, Yorkshire, to james Nicholson and mary meadley.

he married mary Gibson, b. 1808, skeckling, his last child was born in 1835 and my family lore says he died about the same year.

his son john b. 1829, skeckling with burstwick is my 3x gg'pa and he is showing on the 1841 census as a boarder, age 12, mary, in hull, with daughter rose, 'independent means'.

our family lore says john was declared a 'foundling' and therefore could not inherit but theophilus bankrupted in 1831 and all of his creditors were local farmers, including his brother in law, William Gibson, b. 1811. so I assume the Nicholson land was divided up amongst his creditors.... does anyone have any insight if I'm correct...

this is just one of my brick walls... I hope some super sleuths here can help me...

Wilkes_ml

there are several newspaper entries regarding Theophilus Nicholson in 1831 on FindMyPast, though I haven't read them, many show the word "bunkrupt" in the summary text. If you haven't a subscription, it may be worth taking out a trial/pay per view if they offer it.

Wilkes_ml

The Hull Packet 24th December 1847 states that " a sitting of proof of debts and to make a final dividend of the estate & effects of the said bankrupt will be held at the Town Hall in Kingston-upon hull on Wednesday 29th day of 1847 at half past 10 o'clock in the fornoon."

There is no mention that he is deceased, which I would have thought would be noted.

Starting to feel at home

ok so the hull packet is a newspaper...lol sorry i feel like a newbie with this newfound info.. do you have any idea how to find out the disposition of that meeting? how do you access the 'hull packet'?

his son john is showing as a landowner on the 1851 census. I've always wondered where the land came from, I assumed it was from his mothers family, the Gibson side..

A Theo Nicholson born circa 1796 was in gaol in Hull in 1841. HO107; Piece, 1231; Book 7; Folio 62; Page 2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Theophilus Nicholson, Age 47
    Burial date 04 Oct 1842
    Burial place Owthorne with Rimswell

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkes_ml View Post
    there are several newspaper entries regarding Theophilus Nicholson in 1831 on FindMyPast, though I haven't read them, many show the word "bunkrupt" in the summary text. If you haven't a subscription, it may be worth taking out a trial/pay per view if they offer it.

It would be beneficial for you to follow Wilkes advice and take out a trial or monthly subscription to FMP. FMP has a good database of newspapers including The Hull Packet.

Starting to feel at home

this is the doc from findmypast, has a death date of may 1843, says from burstwick but of late from ??? is that the jail?

Starting to feel at home

yes i did... and thanks to you as well... I'm having trouble processing it all..lol

I saw the probate index but don't recognise Great Ingland Hill, perhaps it should be ENGLAND??? Mr Google may help!

Of Ingland Hill is also the address on the burial record

Starting to feel at home

ok so does this make sense? he petitions for bankruptcy 1831, has kids over the next 4 years, his last one is 1835, then can't pay his creditors what they're owed, so he goes to jail.. he dies in 1842, probate 1843, but his bankruptcy isn't heard and disposed of until 1847...

i have his bankruptcy petition and wm. Gibson (his brother in law) along with two other prominent farmers in burstwick are listed on the petition as being owed money, total of about 800 pounds...

but the irony is his orphaned son, john, is shown as a land proprieter on the 1851 census...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast