Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Name well known on Brit-Gen

www.thegazette.co.uk - FREE to search

This paper is described as 'the official public record' even today this is the first place to look for the 'filing of bankrupt's'

Theophilus NICHOLSON filed in the first instance for Bankruptcy in January 1831, the notice appearing in the London Gazette on 31 January 1831. This is to advise all of the action TN has deemed necessary to resolve his financial affairs. The meeting of Creditors was to be held on 4/5 February & 5 March 1831 where TN has to advise the Commissioner of his assetts & the creditors produce evidence of TN's indebtedness to them.

By November 1831 ( anotice was posted on 8th November) TN and the creditors had 'jumped through the necessary hoops' to enable the Commissioners to be satisfied of the Credits & Debts and offer a payment, k/a dividend

Fast forward
    A Mary NICHOLSON had married a Seth Stephenson in 1846, presumably she was a widow! Their only son was given the name William Gibson Stephenson b 1848 1851 Census HO107; Piece: 2359; Folio: 554; Page: 18;

In 1881 she ia with her brother RG11; Piece: 4742; Folio: 18; Page: 10 she died 1883

7 December 1847 a further notice appears inviting any further creditors, I would assume that the estate of the now deceased TN has shown a surplus of funds, the dividend can be increased and any others who can prove a claim may be paid.

14 January 1848

The final notice of the Bankruptcy indicates that the dividend / payment will be 2s 7d in the £1.00.00d. The reference to Will & Grant of Probate relates to those creditors who have died in the intervening years!

ln the Matter of Theophilus Nicholson, of Burstwick, in the
    county of York, Horse Dealer, Dealer and Chapman.
    I HEREBY give notice, that the creditors who have
    proved their debts under the above estate may receive
    a First and Final Dividendof 2s. 7d. in the pound, upon application
    at my office, as under, on Tuesday, the 18th day of
    January instant, or any subsequent Tuesday, between
    the. hours of eleven and two. No Dividend will be paid
    without the production of the securities exhibited at the
    time of proving the debt. Executors and administrators
    will be required to produce the probate of the will or
    the letters of administration under which they claim.
    HATTON HAMER STANSFELD, Official
    Assignee, No. 4, Quay-street, Parliamentstreet,
    Kingston-upon-Hull.

Most of the news items will be syndicated form the London Gazette, however it is obvious that the Commissioners appointed to deal with the case have issued instructions for theproperty to be sold...i.e liquidated.

National Archives
    C 13/3055/70 1841
    Nicholson v Hancock. Depositions.
    (Theophilus Nicholson v Benjamin Hancock)

Starting to feel at home

A Mary NICHOLSON had married a Seth Stephenson in 1846, presumably she was a widow! Their only son was given the name William Gibson Stephenson b 1848 1851 Census HO107; Piece: 2359; Folio: 554; Page: 18;

In 1881 she ia with her brother RG11; Piece: 4742; Folio: 18; Page: 10 she died 1883

yes that's her... I've been able to prove, that although, John, abandoned at age 6, Mary, Rose and John did reunite over the years. John witnessed his sister Rose's marriage and Mary lived at one point with one of John's children.

ok, demo expert, how do I find Theo's incarceration.... ? he and mary produced their last child, Emma, b. & died, 1835.. the family letter says, Theophilus mysteriously died when John was 6... again 1835.. obviously Theo didn't die in 1835, but it would have been a good story to tell a 6 year old instead of 'your father is in jail'.

Starting to feel at home

I wish I'd known this when I visited....

thanks for the amazing help!!

"... presumably she was a widow!"
    March 15th at Bethseda Chapel, Osborne Street, by the Rev S. Lane, Mr Seth Stephenson, of Great Grimsby, to Mrs Nicholson of Hull
    (marriage notice, 20 Mar 1846)

The Theophilus Nicholson that was buried 1842 at Great Ingland Hill was 47 years of age.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Starting to feel at home

that's my theo.... lol and my Mary..lol

now I'm trying to find arrest records for him, my theory is he was gaoled around 1835, I'm dying to know if I'm right.

Just gone back to basics. All off FMP

Theophilus was baptised 31 August 1794 the son of James a Farmer

His marriage was by licence Theophilus declared that he was born 1804 ( knocking 10 years off his age and on an Oath!) Mary was 17 years

This is obtainable from https://www.york.ac.uk/borthwick/remo...ng/order-form/ cost £7.50 sterling.
    Record sequence number 19
    Page number 205
    Record set Yorkshire, Archbishop of York Marriage licences index, 1613-1839

1830 on son Theophilus baptism declared he was a farmer

Buried 4 October 1842 Owthorne with Rimswell, Yorkshire (East Riding), England

1843 May, there appear to be 2 applications for Grant of Probate
    1) Burstwick: Document type Administration
    Document reference vol.?, f.
    Index reference 1842091845050210/4569

2)Owthorne: Document type Administration
    Document reference vol.?, f.
    Index reference 1842091845050210/4570

Each costs £7.50 and is obtainable from the link above

Death Certificate £9.25 form www,gro.gov.uk you will need
    Name Theophelus Nicholson
    Event Type Death
    Registration Quarter Oct-Nov-Dec
    Registration Year 1842
    Registration District Patrington
    County Yorkshire
    Event Place Patrington, Yorkshire, England
    Volume 23
    Page 43
    Line Number 47

It is unlikely that there will be a record of the creditors ( even today that is not likely once a case is finalised) or the assetts. It may have taken time to sell the property assetts and although TN declares himself as a farmer he may have been a tenant as opposed to the landowner ( see earlier post)

I know this is going to cost you $$$'s however I think you need the Marriage licence / death certificate, this will show where he was living & what he died from, and who notified the Registrar /Grant of Probate x 2, this will indicate who the executors are and may show what assetts were held at the time of his death and by whom, I would expect to see a Liquidators name listed, how the residue of the estate ( unlikely) is to be distributed

You indicate that Mary NICHOLSON & Rose were of Ind Means, this could be instead of receiving Parish relief, and not to hold funds of a substantial nature!!

Quote Originally Posted by witchniche View Post
    that's my theo.... lol and my Mary..lol

now I'm trying to find arrest records for him, my theory is he was gaoled around 1835, I'm dying to know if I'm right.
    It is likely that he was imprisoned as a result of the bankruptcy see opening parra of this link.

https://www.genguide.co.uk/source/ban...criminals/138/

You will get most of the info you now require form the Borthwick institute, sadly only a resume is on line.

Are you aware that you can order films / fisches etc to read in your local familysearch ( LDS) resource centre, there is a small cost. https://familysearch.org/locations/centerlocator

Starting to feel at home

"His marriage was by licence Theophilus declared that he was born 1804 ( knocking 10 years off his age and on an Oath!) Mary was 17 years"

What does that mean, 'by license'? You are an absolute wizard, I haven't found that yet..

I have the 1831 petition for bankruptcy, that shows his creditors. They are local farmers, including William Gibson, either Mary's father or brother... I can't recall which, but i'll dig that out. and I have a map that showed Mary Nicholson's property in Burstwick, I want to say it's dated, 1825.. she died in 1829 so either theophilus inherited an already bankrupting estate or he managed to do it in two years..lol

The family letter says John had a benefactor, never knew who, so I always assumed, mary and rose did as well, the gibsons was my assumption... but fact on the 1841 census john, age 12, is living in burstwick as a boarder... wm. Gibson, unmarried, dairy houses, age 30, with servants... another note is 1841 census, there is a wm. Nicolson, age 15 living in rimswell (could be Theo's son).

thanks so much for helping me unravel, this is a crazy family... I will definitely get Theo's death cert, marriage license.

but here's another question if he was in jail in 1841, his probate record says 'of late great ingland hill, rimswell'... how would he have gotten out of jail?

Starting to feel at home

I'd always assumed he was jailed b/c of the bankruptcy or he abandoned the family to avoid being jailed... never had any proof of either. the letter says, he died mysteriously, when john was age 6, 1835... so now my question is how did he get out?

I'm actually taking a genealogy class at the local library this coming week and that was one of my questions, whether we could get info through the local library. not sure if it's LDS affiliated or not.

Usually there is a notice posted in the London Gazette advising of the sentence. and the length.

The death cert may lead you to the cause & place of death.

You could look at the Workhouse records or the Parish accounts to see if he applied for Parish relief, after being declared Bankrupt he could almost have been destitute!

LDS re - branded Familysearch. Remember not all the UK records have been digitalised and those that have are predominately CoE, non conformist are slowly coming on line.

Under English Law you can either get married by having the Banns read out for 3 consecutive 'Sunday's' or virtually immediately by License / declaration, again this will hold information that you may not have already gleaned

I think you need some of the paperwork to answer your queries.

Enjoy your classes and get the most out of them, let us know how you get on

jx

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast