Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sounds like his creditors were to prove debts owed them, before the estate could be finalised.

Do you have a copy of the will, if not it would be an idea to send for it.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Checking the Land Tax Assessments for Burstwick for the period just before the bankruptcy would give some indication of what land holdings he had. It is unlikely that these records are online. Be aware that in England, not all farmers owned their land; they often held it by leasehold from the landed gentry or noble estates. (LTAs run from 1791 - 1831 and were kept because they were proof of the right to vote). pwholt

Brick wall demolition expert!

If anyone is wondering what "Chapman" is, it was an itinerant dealer / hawker", or perhaps what would be known today as a travelling salesman.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Based on searching Findmypast for any Nicholsons in Skeckling cum Burstwick, it would seem that the GRO (General Registry Office) district is Patrington.

There are 3 deaths registered in Partington for a Theophilus Nicholson (Theophelus / Theophulus). 1838, 1842. 1853. This is something to bear in mind when looking at other records as there will be risk of muddling up individuals.

Findmypast has a number of record sets that would be of use to you when searching for Nicholsons in Skeckling cum Burstwick in the East Riding of Yorkshire:

England Marriages 1538-1873
    Yorkshire Banns
    Yorkshire Burials
    Yorkshire Marriages
    Yorkshire bishop’s transcripts of baptisms
    Yorkshire bishop’s transcripts of burials
    Yorkshire bishop’s transcripts of marriages

Starting to feel at home

yeah I saw this one... how do I get his will?

Starting to feel at home

you guys are a wealth of info, hard to take it all in, my brain can't process that quick..lol

I'm sure he owned the land, I have a map of mary Nicholson's land I ordered from east riding years ago. she passed in 1829 only two years before the bankruptcy.

also, she is listed in the pigot's directory for burstwick in 1823 as a farmer. my assumption was only landowners would have been listed, not tenant farmers. could anyone tell me if this assumption is correct?

also, compelling is a bundle of papers, for lands of Nicholson's and meadley's I'm waiting to get from east riding. says land owned all over patrington area, burstwick, aldbrough (meadley/Nicholson marriage).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by witchniche View Post
    how do I get his will?
    Prior to 1858, probate was handled by the ecclesiastical or church courts with jurisdiction in archdeaconries, dioceses of bishops (consistory courts) and provinces of the archbishops of Canterbury and York.

I would contact the County Record Office for wills pre-1858, and/or look on this website about what records they hold in regard to wills & administrations pre-1858.

It looks like many people had death duties payable on deceased's estates - this website gives you more information on that also.

"Great Ingland Hill"

https://maps.nls.uk/view/102345034

Great England Hill on extreme right edge of map
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Quote - "I'm sure he owned land...."
    The Hull Packet, Tue 29 March 1831, describes the properties to be auctioned "... By the Order of of the Assignees of Mr Theophilus Nicholson a Bankrupt"
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Banned

I'm not surprised he kept his land - land was the most valuable asset back in the day. Despite his bankruptcy, he would've made an attempt to keep what would be of some worth upon death.

I'm not sure they would be listed, but I'm sure that the land owners would be listed. It's likely they were quite poor (hence his bankruptcy) so they probably would've been tenant farmers.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast