Starting to feel at home

Default Winter Marshall in France 1870's

I have information from a family member which is incorrect (as you do!). The family member is now dead. I am interested to see if I can correct this.

Winter Marshall was born in Hampshire in 1848. In 1871 he lived with William Birch, his wife Adele and mother-in-law Eleanor Tilly. William and his MIL were born in France. So far, so true.

I believe that Winter and this family moved to france soon after this census as they disappear and my information is that Winter lived in Paris as a ‘man-servant’. Winter had a son, Winter, born in 1875. Interestingly, Winter junior married a ‘French’ woman, Marie Francoise Jacob, but came over to England for the ceremony (in St Joseph’s RC Church in Christchurch in 1901 – 2b.1453 FreeBMD).

My question is: who did Winter Marshall Sr marry? Can anyone help, please? I have tried using the Paris records but cannot get past the Home page! Her first name may have been ‘Pauline’ but that is a bit of a guess.

Warning: my information about the France connection could be incorrect. Family folk-lore states that a sister of William Sr probably went to France to marry her brother-in-law: this story is obviously to cover-up the fact that the marriage was illegal at the time (but this sleuth found the correct marriage in Sussex!).

Dundee10

If you have access to Ancestry the 1873 marriage is there in three different indexes - bride is variously transcribed as Polinete LAJOUS, Pauline LAJAUS, and Pauline LAYONS. You would need to look at the original docs.

Starting to feel at home

Thanks a lot.
    I subscribe to FMP and don't have access to Ancestry. I think I know a man who does.
    'Pauline' fits in that my family source gave her name as Pauline Francoise Jacob - thus a mix-up of her with the wife of William Jr.
    Presumably Ancestry gives the place of the wedding as France? that would at least confirm that Winter went to live in France.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Doesn't help wit your records but may help:

William Arthur BIRCH of Agden Cheshire ( next to Lymm, just outside of Altrincham) died and was buried 27 Sept 1883 at ST Marys Prestwich Lancs Grant of Probate states he was of Agden Hall ans his widow was Clara Rose

On FMP there is a divorce listing for him & Adiles Agnes in 1873 so unlikely that she went with them

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by geneius View Post
    Doesn't help wit your records but may help:

William Arthur BIRCH of Agden Cheshire ( next to Lymm, just outside of Altrincham) died and was buried 27 Sept 1883 at ST Marys Prestwich Lancs Grant of Probate states he was of Agden Hall ans his widow was Clara Rose

On FMP there is a divorce listing for him & Adiles Agnes in 1873 so unlikely that she went with them
    It does help! And intrigues me!
    A William Birch married Clara Rose Blake in London in 1878.
    I will continue my research although it's not central to my family.
    Thanks a lot.

Winter Marshall
    mentioned in the record of Winter Marshall and Pauline Layons
    Name Winter Marshall
    Spouse's Name Pauline Layons
    Event Date 01 May 1873
    Event Place Paris, France
    CITING THIS RECORD

"Great Britain Marriages, 1797-1988," , FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XT85-FQG : accessed 9 August 2015), Winter Marshall and Pauline Layons, 01 May 1873; citing Paris, France, reference pg 311; FHL microfilm 1,929,839.
    No image available

GREAT BRITAIN MARRIAGES, 1797-1988

Indexing Project (Batch) Number M01090-4
    System Origin Great Britain-EASy and VR
    GS Film number 1929839
    Reference ID pg 311

You can order the film via the LDS site to read at your local LDS Resource centre. https://familysearch.org/locations/centerlocator

Winter and Pauline (variations of) were both of Neuilly when they married. His parents William and Elizabeth Tanner (transcription of last name but I have difficulty reading it.)
    When searching using Winter's name it brings up a record with his details, when using Pauline's name it brings up a record with her details.
    Polinette Lajous daughter of Gulliame and Jeanne, then a squiggle I can't read but could be something meaning maiden name and then the surname? Abejan (acute over the e)

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Starting to feel at home

Geneius and Christanel, many thanks. Definitely our man. Tanner – yes, he was son of William Marshall and Elizabeth Tanner who married in 1841 in Christchurch, Hampshire . I have put your information in my notes.
    There must be a connection between Winter Sr and William Birch or why would a young man move from the close-knit large family in Hampshire to be a servant in the Birch household and then go to live in France? William Birch was a Mineral Merchant born in Lancashire in 1846. As Geneius states, this young couple divorced after only a few years of marriage and William re-married. Incidentally, when I went to the 1871 census record rather than the transcription I found that he was not born in France – that was his wife and sister-in-law. Could be any number of reasons how William got to Manchester of course and that will have to wait for another day as I must move on to a different branch of our family.

As I stated up-thread, Winter Jr was probably responsible for the cover-up story of his aunt’s illegal marriage.

And now to look at our relation who was an elephant hunter and dealer in ivory in West Africa (hangs head in shame). I’m not expecting any brickwalls, just a few acacia trees, perhaps.

Thanks again for your help.

I was trying to reconcile William BIRCH b Salford living ( not necessarily owning) Agden Hall at Lymm.

The BIRCH family had money and appear to have had the connections with France , there are entry in the trade directories for Manchester & Salford, https://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/c...on/p16445coll4

BIRCH WILLIAMS SINGLETON mineral importers of french chalk / china clay / gypsum et al......

William S BIRCH died 1881 and left an est worth £61500 ish

William the son as a well educated person 1865-1868 • Exeter College, Oxford University, Oxford, England
    Matric 8 June 1865 - BA 1868 - MA 1872 Of the Middle Temple 1869 as you suggest probably took Winter with him to France between 1871 -18??