Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default St. Peter's Church Lancaster

I have a marriage taking place at St. Peter's Church Lancaster, yet the marriage registration shows it was registered in Liverpool. Was this possible. Marriage took place in 1848.
    Thank you

Brick wall demolition expert!

Are you sure that it is not saying the county of Lancaster? Liverpool was in the county of Lancaster in those days.

Starting to feel at home

I came across this a few years back but can't remember the relevant dates: sometimes a cathedral gave permission for churches in the diocese to marry people and put the cathedral on the certificate. Thus, Liverpool would be the Cathedral for a marriage in a church in Lancaster. I suppose!
    (I'll say this quietly - I think it might have been a bit of snobbery! Or it could well have been a question of lack of money.)

Reputation beyond repute

I have a marriage taking place at St. Peter's Church Lancaster
    What does the marriage certificate or register entry actually say?

Could it be that this actually refers to St Peter's, Liverpool (in the county of Lancaster)?

Reputation beyond repute

There was a St Peter's in the town of Lancaster but that was a Roman Catholic cathedral. There was no Anglican St Peter's in Lancaster. But it wasn't that because a marriage in Lancaster would have been registered in Lancaster Registration District.

FreeBMD tells you if something doesn't look right about a registration (ie a possible error). Presumably you've checked that.

Loves to help with queries

Thank you very much Megan, Mark and Peter.
    Yes it was the Free Bmd that shows the marriage registered in Liverpool. Family Search in "England Marriages" says " citing St. Peter, Lancaster, Lancashire", so I'm thinking that Mark's example may be what happened here. The bride was born in Warrington but cannot be found on the 1841 census - her father was Irish, mother from Liverpool. The groom was born in Preston and was living in Bolton in 1841. In 1851, they are living in Liverpool.
    Really appreciate your time.

jac65

Hi

The only way to be certain is to see the Church marriage register or purchase a certificate but I think Familysearch have the place incorrect and that the Church Register says County of Lancaster which tended to be the term used on documents rather than Lancashire.

Have you looked on LancashireBMD https://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/ for the marriage? That is sourced from the Local Register Office.

Andy

Family Search have recorded many of my ancestors as being baptised/married in York, when in fact they were born or married in YORKSHIRE.............it's a big county, and only through experience did I learn to either look for an online record elsewhere, or to consult the parish register where I thought the event may have taken place.

You've actually learnt a valuable lesson - never accept transcriptions as fact, always, if possible, look at the original record.

BTW, Ancestry have for instance this database (also have Liverpool Catholic Marriages, Liverpool marriages and non conformist records)

'Lancashire, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1936'

If you don't have access to Ancestry records (available for free in most UK public libraries) then post details of the couple you are researching and we will take a look for you.

If I'm to be honest I don't much care for queries which only give 'half the facts' much better to name who you are researching, providing of course the person(s) are not living. These type of queries I often ignore. Sorry, I'm not 'getting at you' but rather suggesting you will receive more help if you give all the facts.

jac65

Hi

Without their names it is difficult to be certain but Familysearch has multiple marriages in 1848 where the Event Place is St Peter, Lancaster, Lancashire but when you look at the Catalogue information for the relevant film, film no 1656509, it says that the film is of Parish Registers of St Peter's Church Liverpool 1704 - 1919 and that it is "Microfilm of original records at the Liverpool Record Office".

Andy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast