Reputation beyond repute

Default British Library project

Does anyone know what happened to the project to scan "5 million pages of UK electoral registers"?

The project was announced in 2011 but nothing seems to have surfaced yet.

See page 2 of https://www.bl.uk/reshelp/pdfs/rbulletin_apr2011.pdf

Devonmade

Has it turned into the electoral registers on FMP?

Reputation beyond repute

Has it turned into the electoral registers on FMP?
    No. UK Electoral Registers 2002-2014 is I believe the 192.com database. Cheshire Electoral Registers consists of registers from Cheshire Archives.

I know I could ask FMP but I thought someone here might be keeping their ears to the ground.

Reputation beyond repute

I know I could ask FMP
    So I did. And got an answer which was nothing to do with the question I asked.

They say "We have the UK Electoral Rolls available on the site covering 2002 - 2014". I believe this is the same as the 192.com database and nothing to do with the BL collection of electoral registers.

It is amazing that Findmypast manages to stay in business.

thewideeyedowl

Why not contact the British Library about this, with a link to their own announcement? Owl

Reputation beyond repute

Good thinking. If FMP don't respond to my second message, I'll try the British Library. The original press release is still on the site.

The release says "The partnership between the British Library and findmypast.co.uk followed a competitive tender process and will see five million pages of UK electoral registers and India Office records digitised over the next year. The resources will become available via findmypast.co.uk and in the British Library’s Reading Rooms from early 2012; online access will be available to findmypast.co.uk subscribers and pay-as-you-go customers – access to users in the British Library Reading Rooms will be free"

I know some India Office stuff has dribbled out but that's not what I'm asking about.