Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Owl ... that is so exciting! I've been trying to track down any new lead all year and banging my head on the wall. Any change of direction is so welcome!! I saw that German Kappey record at one point, too.

The divorce sounds highly likely ... and I'm determined to get to the bottom of Henry's soldier years. (Unfortunately, Henry Bond was a common name in all the services so I've got a file full of possibilities!)

Thank you so much for your trouble ... I really appreciate it ... the new info has made me ridiculously happy! I didn't think about the TNA search ... every day is a school day!

Kappey divorce petition is on Ancestry, makes interesting reading.

'U.K., Civil Divorce Records, 1858-1914'

Starting to feel at home

Owl and Almach, I've just had a very happy hour printing out the divorce petition. Yes it was adultery and she gave birth to twins!

Also, in one of the census leads, a fellow soldier of Kappey's (same age/rank/barracks) came from Plympton where my Henry settled so lots of possible links.

I've just had a phone call from a friend and I was trying to explain why I was so happy but it's hard to understand if you haven't caught the genealogy bug yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie 888 View Post
    Owl and Almach, I've just had a very happy hour printing out the divorce petition. Yes it was adultery and she gave birth to twins!

Also, in one of the census leads, a fellow soldier of Kappey's (same age/rank/barracks) came from Plympton where my Henry settled so lots of possible links.

I've just had a phone call from a friend and I was trying to explain why I was so happy but it's hard to understand if you haven't caught the genealogy bug yourself!
    If Charles James is Caroline's his twin must have died at birth as there's only one birth registered in Scarborough. The two children born within the marriage are easily found in 1901, as is Cecil in 1911, as yet I've not found Stella in 1911..........and.........I wonder what happened to Mary Caroline, I've found her with her family on an early census and her father was Lieutenant General.

Starting to feel at home

It looks like Frederick was living in Paddington in the 1911 Census, a widower, aged 49, and on a pension.

I'm off to do a Barclay Brook Head search now, the cad!

Famous for offering help & advice

To add to the mix.... SP have a birth of a Katherin Kappey b1896 Edinburgh

A Barclay Brook Head b 1873 died Glasgow 1901

It seems Mary Caroline's 'intimate friend' died in 1901, so she can't be with him in 1911.

Head, Barclay Brook, b. 13 May, 1873. (Gownboys) Left L.Q., 1890. Trin. Coll., Camb.-H.M. Customs Service.
    Died at Glasgow, 9 June, 1901

Southampton Kelly's Directory 1913 - 1914.

Royal Navy and Marine Recruiting Office, 48, Bridge Road, Lieut - Col. F G Kappey R.M.A. & Color-Sergt. W. Bentall in charge; 30, Romsey Rd, Shirley, Walter Bentall, recruiting officer.

Death Reg.

Frederick G Kappey, Lymington, Hampshire, 1919, Quarter: 3, Age: 57, Volume: 2b, Page: 0652

Starting to feel at home

You're all too fast for me! By the time I've found something and written it down to report back, you've already got it.

His old Charterhouse School records say that he died on 9 June 1901 in Glasgow. By coincidence, there is a Barclay Brook Head that died on the same date in Northern Ireland? What the heck!

Maybe the 'new couple' tried to make a go of it but, when he died in 1901, she couldn't cope and then had Charles James adopted.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast