Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Almach, his birth wasn’t registered on the Isle of Wight so he had to fill in a Civil Service evidence of age declaration, stating that he’d tried everything to track down his birth but couldn’t find it. He swore it was on 22 Sept 1848 at Ryde/Sandown on the Isle of Wight. I’ll try posting the image in case I’ve missed something helpful! I still can’t read his address … maybe Union Street?

His wife was Welsh and on their marriage certificate it said he was a bachelor, aged 40, working as a prison warder in Parkhurst on the Isle of Wight; father was David Bond, a tailor. The witnesses were James and Dinah Williams. (I can’t find any trace of Henry’s father David!) Jane Williams, aged 41, lived in Llwyncelyn; father was Titus Williams, a cooper. (Titus was baptised in the non-conformist Rock Chapel in Trelech but I don’t think the rest of his family was religious.)

Banned

I'm an archivist, and to be quite honest I haven't heard of any religious organizations that have organized adoptions. Adoption became legal in UK in 1926, but adoption was in circulation by this time.

Generally, before adoption became legalised, a child would be handed over to family, friends or relatives. A mother could use a solicitor (which cost a lot) to sign over her child to somebody else. Social Services never existed then, so it was the only choice.

Like Megan, I think it was fairly unusual for a child to be adopted by others who aren't related so far from his birthplace (whichever one it was). I think the child was placed in the care of relatives, who moved to Dublin from Scarborough when he was young. This happened with many when they just told the enumerator where they'd been raised. It may be he was given to another family who were moving to Dublin. At this point, we can only speculate.

The parish records would hold the answers if he was baptized. I would think Dublin has/had many churches or chapels so it might take a long time to find him amongst their registers. Scarborough has one main parish church, so it'll be a lot easier.

Another theory that has come to mind is that he was born illegitimate. Illegitimacy was stigmatized, so generally the child wasn't kept by the birth mother/father or their families because of the stigma so they were given up for adoption (in later years) but in the times we're discussing they went to relatives or friends.

Starting to feel at home

Thank you smj!

I agree with everything you say and I'll look again at the Scarborough parish church. The problem is his surname wasn't Bond then, presumably, so I'm looking for any old Charles James.

Famous for offering help & advice

Hello jessie

You may have already checked this out - two CharlesJames births in Scarborough - CJ Kappey 1898 and CJ Wilson 1898. Possibly worth checking even if to eliminate . C J Kappey seems to disappear however and there are some Kappey links to the I o W / Portsmouth area in BMD lists. So may be of interest. But could be red herring.

Haven't looked at CJ Wilson .

Starting to feel at home

You may have already checked this out - two CharlesJames births in Scarborough - CJ Kappey 1898 and CJ Wilson 1898. Possibly worth checking even if to eliminate . C J Kappey seems to disappear however and there are some Kappey links to the I o W / Portsmouth area in BMD lists. So may be of interest. But could be red herring.

Thank you for taking the time. I did check out these two and ruled out Charles James Wilson because I'm pretty sure he died in 1899 as an infant.

I keep coming back to Charles James H. Kappey, though! I found a possible older sister, Lilian Joan Kappey born 1901 in Portsmouth, Hampshire ... which sounds hopeful. There were also a lot of Kappeys emigrating. I'll keep trying!

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie 888 View Post

I keep coming back to Charles James H. Kappey, though! I found a possible older sister, Lilian Joan Kappey born 1901 in Portsmouth, Hampshire ... which sounds hopeful. There were also a lot of Kappeys emigrating. I'll keep trying!
    It looks as though Lilian's mother Florence is in Norwich in 1901 with her parents and 3 year old son Reginald who was born in India. Unfortunately I think this makes it unlikely for her to have been in Scarborough in 1898 giving birth to Charles James.

Starting to feel at home

Oh darn it, Grisel! Thanks for the info ... I won't waste more time going down that dead-end. The Kappey name may still be a lead though. I reckon the secret to it all is somewhere in the lost years of my great-grandfather, Henry Bond, when he was a soldier somewhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie 888 View Post
    Oh darn it, Grisel! Thanks for the info ... I won't waste more time going down that dead-end. The Kappey name may still be a lead though. I reckon the secret to it all is somewhere in the lost years of my great-grandfather, Henry Bond, when he was a soldier somewhere!
    I agree the Kappey link is intriguing. And Charles James Kappey b Scarborough must have gone somewhere. I suppose the name may have been mistranscribed though.

It's a pity you can't get the certificate to eliminate him without spending money!

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    I agree the Kappey link is intriguing. And Charles James Kappey b Scarborough must have gone somewhere. I suppose the name may have been mistranscribed though.

It's a pity you can't get the certificate to eliminate him without spending money!
    I shall do another Kappey hunt ... and keep notes this time because I seem to go round in circles thinking that document is familiar!

I'll wait for another six months before I give in and order that certificate. I think I've resigned myself to wasting money with this now. When I started two years ago, I foolishly thought I'd have my tree all done and dusted in a year tops. Ha ha. I started off with half hour stints on Ancestry in the public library ... until I realised it would be a lifelong obsession and started buying certificates and joining the commercial sites. Much poorer but loving it!

thewideeyedowl

Default A Kappey Divorce, 1897

Hi Jessie...a very warm welcome from another member who is 'now much poorer but loving it', as you so succinctly put it!

Have been keeping an eye on this thread and searched a bit in the background - the Isle of Wight Family History Society (which has a lot of freely-available data) yielded nothing. Took a look at the online catalogues of the East Yorkshire and North Yorkshire Archives, but again - nothing.

Then I finally thought to enter 'Kappey' in the Discovery search box at The National Archives (TNA), limiting it to 1800-1899 produced ten results: https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...q=%28Kappey%29. Now what I found interesting were those that mentioned Frederick George KAPPEY. As you will see, he was promoted Brevet Lieutenant Colonel in the Royal Marines in 1878 - which might explain some sort of military connection with your Henry Bond (if we could find out what he was doing and where...); but of greater interest is the Divorce Petition of 1897. Frederick George Kappey petitioned to divorce his wife Mary Caroline Kappey, and cited a co-respondent in the case. I do not know where in the country this was. But if Mary Caroline had a child in 1898....well, she may not have been sure who the father was and may not have wanted to keep him (if it was in fact a boy). That would give a motive for an 'adoption'. And supposing Henry Bond and his wife took on the child???????

I also noted that there was a record of a Kappey (not FGK) seeking naturalisation - he was German. So that might indicate that the name came originally from Germany.

Happy hunting! And sorry if these suggestions lead us all on a wild goose chase.

Owl

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast