Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Reputation beyond repute

what does AB London mean?
    Able Seaman, HMS London.

chadwbe

Does this (AB) signify a naval man, and would this be in conflict with being a "seaforth highlander" which I presume is infantry? or are such distinctions meaningful at this time?
    Thanks.

It's highly unlikely (never impossible) that the navy guy is the same as the other. I don't know where you are, but his name is pretty common in Scotland.

chadwbe

Thanks, that was also my conclusion. Stumped again. Still working on parentage to get dob but no luck yet. The common name definitely does not help!

A somewhat late response to message 13 - the census shows Grace as having been born in Tomintoul, Banf, so it's likely that the Minister meant "both living her" by "both of this parish" rather than "born and bred here". Likely, they were both officially registered as his parishioners. To do this, they would have had to present a certificate of Church membership from their previous parish so, if you are very lucky and they've survived, the Minutes of the Kirk Session should show previous parishes.
    Grace was already in Ardesier in 1851. James wasn't there in '41 or '51.....

chadwbe

Sounds like a trip to Scotland might be required? Or wait until they are put online...I'm in the US but this would be a fun excuse to travel I guess!

i never avoid an excuse to head for Edinburgh. It's one of my favourite cities!

I have a James Murray in my files... ... But also other Murray. Could they be all related ? Not sure, as Murray is pretty common.

4 June 1826 : Bachelor CSgt James Murray to Maria Kingswell, a spinster daughter of James Kingswell, Blockmaker in the Naval Arsenal, of the Parish of St Nicholas Deptford in the County of Kent.

18 May 1828 : Lindley James Murray son of CSgt James Murray and Maria, born on 26 April.

9 Aug 1829 : Maria Louisa Murray daughter of CSgt James Murray and Maria, born on 21 July 1829.

John James MURRAY, the son of Sergeant Matthew Murray, 2nd Battalion, 23rd Regiment, buried 4th October 1859, by Reverend F.F. Thomson CF (Floriana Cemetery Malta)

Robert MURRAY, 21+, bachelor, of Kirkcudbright, Scotland, Asst. Storekeeper, Commissariat, married 9th June 1864, to Catherine McCONNACHIE, 21+, spinster, of Peterhead, Scotland

Elizabeth MURRAY, born 20th October 1852, the daughter of Elizabeth Mary and Robert Murray, Civil Engineer

William MURRAY, aged 28 years, buried 15th February 1854

Alexander MURRAY, aged 26 years 6 months, born in Scotland, Lance Corporal, Royal Engineers, buried 15th August 1861 (Ta'Braxia Cemetery)

Caroline Winifred MURRAY, aged 18 years, the daughter of Colonel James W. Murray, died 21st September 1888 (Ta'Braxia Cemetery)

Donald Sands MURRAY, aged 50 years, born in England, Chartered Quantity Surveyor, died 7th December 1967 (Ta'Braxia Cemetery)

Edward MURRAY, aged 57 years, born in Liverpool, Seaman, buried 29th September 1932 (Ta'Braxia Cemetery)

Helen MURRAY, aged 3 years 7 months, born in Hawick, the daughter of Mary and Colour-Sergeant William Murray, Cameron Highlanders, died 29th September 1894 (Ta'Braxia Cemetery)

I am looking for some info about Richard Murray who died in Malta on 20 Dec 1829, he was 26 years old. He is buried in our cemetery, MSIDA BASTION GARDEN.

Even if they would be from the same family, it is normal that hey are not buried at the same place. Msida closed in 1856 and people were buried in Floriana and Ta'Braxia from 1857.

Have you noticed he date on the thread you’re answering, Muriel? Unfortunately, the person you are answering is no longer a member - you can see that because it says “guesst” under his name, where it shows that you are a newcomer.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123