Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sue Broman

Default Looking for Jean Warner

Hi everyone. I am keen to find Jean Warner, born in Glasgow around 1883 to Annie Smith and Arthur Bilton Warner. Absolutely no sign of her in Scotland - birth, census, marriage etc. The only evidence of her is on FS and notification of her death on 25 June 1923 at Toronto, Ontario. I can't find when she went to Canada either. She is buried at Park Lawn, Toronto.

I suspect she may have been given to an institution because she does not appear with the family at all, even after her parents married a year later in 1884. Otherwise she may have been called Jean Smith, after her mother if the father doubted paternity. However, why would she be buried with her correct name?

Any ideas would be appreciated. My colleague in Scotland has spent many hours searching for her on records kept in Scotland.

Regards
    Sue

Taking information re Arthur Bilton Warner being a "member of the cloth" this looks like it could be he and Jean in 1921 Canada census
    Coldstream, Larington, British Columbia
    Arthur B Warner 69 Widower Clergyman Scotland
    Jeane Warner 38 daughter Scotland
    Herbert Warner 28 son Student Scotland
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Jean's death certificate is on Ancestry, the informant was her father A B Warner, address: 62, Empire Crescent, Park Lawn,

Cause of death, primary: ovarian cyst and appendicitis. contributory: thrombosis

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Sue, as her Father has been named a informant, he must have been in York, Toronto at that time. Have you looked on the 1921 Canadian census for Jean by either surname?

Also Canadian immigration for Jean or other Family members.? I can't check that now as I have limited subs.

Perhaps she was alone & caught up with Family in later years. Maybe that's when she took on the Warner name-so many maybes.

I found one so named Lady b. Scotland living in Chatham, Kent UK in 1911 with two small dtrs. No Husband (Mr Warner)about didn't find marriage but maybe it didn't happen in England.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Arthur B's remarriage is also on ancestry November 1923 to a Minnie Meyers. He born Glasgow, she born Toronto Ontario.
    He a widow and clergyman, age 60, father John Warner, mother Esther Waldron
    William Burroughs

This
    Detroit Border Crossings and Crew Lists on ancestry
    Arthur B Warner age 59 born Glasgow Occupation Missionary
    arrived Detroit Michigan 22 Nov 1923
    Departure contact, daughter Esther Barry
    Arrival contact, Son Herbert

There is the original image but my eyes get tired trying to decipher the crushed up writing.

he died 22 Jun 1941 San Diego, father John Warner, mother Esther Waldron
    His birth date 27 Jan 1858
    William Burroughs

Forgot to say that on the 1921 census in my post #2 the Warners all stated they had immigrated in 1912.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Aagh! how late was I. so miss my World sub on Ancestry. All these people fiddled while I bur....rowed.

Good stuff Christina.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

janbooth

Record on Ancestry's Passenger Lists for an Arthur B WARNER, aged 47, married, born England, going to Montreal, shown as an Agent Farming, religion Church of England, arriving 23 May 1912 aboard the Montrose which departed from Liverpool, which fits in with the date Christina found in post 12, but not his occupation.

Janet

Quote Originally Posted by Waitabit View Post
    Aagh! how late was I. so miss my World sub on Ancestry. All these people fiddled while I bur....rowed.

Good stuff Christina.
    Wendy I like your burrowing - it makes me look closer at what I am finding.
    I also saw that one in Kent in 1911.

The 1901 census for Scotland has Annie the wife and all children except Jean. Where is she hiding?
    Arthur B seems to get around and their last child Jane was born 1899 Toxteth Park, Liverpool but they were back in Scotland 1901
    All other children born Glasgow.

I like the record you found Janet, we now need to find some for Jean, Herbert and Esther.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast