Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jackiewing2000

Default Edward Blyth - pipe maker of Hull

Another Blyth with links to Louth!!! My ancestor has been a rock hard brick wall for over 15 years. Edward Blyth, tobacco pipe maker from Hull, was born around 1771/2 and died in 1821 in Hull at the age of 50. His wife was Dorothy Butler (b Hull 1766-1826) and they married in Sculcoates in 1794. All seems pretty normal. They had son a William 1795 in Hull, Elizabeth 1797, Harriot 1798 again all in Hull. Then in 1808, a final son, Edward Dennison Blyth was born in Louth. Oldest son William and also Edward Dennison were apprenticed to their father by patrimony, according to the Burgess Rolls, but there is no entry of Edward who was a freeman of the city, ever having been apprenticed or born there there himself. How did Edward come to be a master and a freeman? William left Hull, married a girl in Bedford of all places, and then they moved and operated in Beverley. He became an alcoholic and after several failed attempts, committed suicide by drowning himself in the Humber. Edward Dennison remained in Hull, also became a pipe maker and operated from his deceased father's workshop in Chariot Street, marrying a Margaret Clark. I have recently found an entry in the Hull apprentice rolls in 1825, of a Mrs Elizabeth Blyth, pipe maker, widow of the late MR EDWARD DENNISON BLYTH taking an apprentice. Who was she??? Could this be Elizabeth, daughter of Edward and Dorothy telling porkies. There are Hull pipes made by an Elizabeth Blyth. Was my Edward born in 1771 also Edward Dennison, who was he and where did he come from? There is no Blyth/Dennison marriage anywhere except for in Norfolk in 1734. A fellow subscriber also has an Edward Dennison from Louth in her tree but we cannot find a link. There have been many suppositions regarding the origins of Edward, including Louth, as his death was mentioned in the family announcements in the Stamford Mercury. Would be most grateful for any help with this one.

Re Edward, "died 1821 in Hull at the age of 50" the Stamford Mercury, 24 Aug 1821, reported the death "... aged 40, Mr Edward Blyth, pipemaker of Hull".
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

jackiewing2000

Thanks for your interest. Yes- he lived in Chariot Street, Sculcoates in Hull, but could the fact it was reported in the Stamford Mercury be significant, as Stamford is near Louth. Edward's son William was extremely poor but he and Dorothy are mentioned in probate, following Dorothy's death.

Had you seen?

https://www.curiousfox.com/vill100/yo...ng13495_1.html

Tab down to/search for "Blyths Beverly Hull Liverpool"

jackiewing2000

Gosh- had forgotten that posting. It was mine, when I started out on this journey many years ago. The Pipe Makers Guild thought that Edward may have come from Liverpool, as there is evidence of his pipes there. However, his pipes have also been found in Nottingham and Birmingham as well as in Hull. Sorry, that posting is a red herring and I must remove it. As yet, there really isn't any evidence at all where he came from. He was my 5th great grandfather. I am descended from his suicidal, alcoholic son William!! What lineage!

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by jackiewing2000 View Post
    Another Blyth with links to Louth!!! My ancestor has been a rock hard brick wall for over 15 years. Edward Blyth, tobacco pipe maker from Hull, was born around 1771/2 and died in 1821 in Hull at the age of 50. His wife was Dorothy Butler (b Hull 1766-1826) and they married in Sculcoates in 1794. All seems pretty normal. They had son a William 1795 in Hull, Elizabeth 1797, Harriot 1798 again all in Hull. Then in 1808, a final son, Edward Dennison Blyth was born in Louth.
    The baptism entry clearly says Edward Tennyson Blyth. https://www.
    lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=886980&iid=436658

Regarding the other entries you quote giving the name Dennison, have you seen the original records (or photocopies/film of them), or are you looking at transcriptions?

A fellow subscriber also has an Edward Dennison from Louth in her tree but we cannot find a link. There have been many suppositions regarding the origins of Edward, including Louth, as his death was mentioned in the family announcements in the Stamford Mercury. Would be most grateful for any help with this one.
    Is this Hilary? Only if so I won't need to alert her to your post.

Quote Originally Posted by jackiewing2000 View Post
    Thanks for your interest. Yes- he lived in Chariot Street, Sculcoates in Hull, but could the fact it was reported in the Stamford Mercury be significant, as Stamford is near Louth. Edward's son William was extremely poor but he and Dorothy are mentioned in probate, following Dorothy's death.
    Stamford is only 'near Louth' as 'in the same county'. They're fifty-four miles apart as the crow flies, and a further twelve by road.

I would say there's no particular significance to the notice being in the Stamford Mercury, as in those days papers weren't as 'localised' as their names may imply, and the 'hatched/matched/dispatched' columns included people from all over the country. e.g. in the same section as Edward's death is announced there's notices of two marriages. One in Kent for people from Derby and Matlock, and one in Lancashire where the groom was from Leeds.

Pam

jackiewing2000

Hi Pam

In Hull he was known as Edward Dennison Blyth and on the censi, his place of birth was always given as Louth, date c1808. I think this more or less confirms the Tennison confusion was a writing error on the baptismal entry. He was also a pipe maker and served under his father. The fact that Mrs Elizabeth Blyth widow of Edward Dennison Blyth also took an apprentice, more or less reconfirmed that the middle name was Dennison, passed on from father to son. Now you know why I am confused, as Edward was married to Dorothy Butler and not Elizabeth! Maybe there were two pipemakers in Hull named Edward Blyth (excluding Edward junior 1808), but no record. Interestingly an Edward Blyth was the chairman of the Temperance Society in Hull. Could this be because his brother drowned his sorrows in a bottle? Or, maybe the Edward Blyth named was the ship owner, also from Hull named Edward Blyth.

I'd spotted the "Tennyson" not "Dennyson/Dennison" from Freereg but couldn't find any other "Tennyson/Blyth" link.

Was puzzled by a London Gazette entry (1842) where the partnership between Edward Dennison Blyth and George Reader, mustard manufacturers, was dissolved. Have managed to find a George Reeder, mustard mr. Sculcoates in the '41 Census but cannot spot Edward (Dennison) Blyth.

Do you have "your" Edward Dennison in '41 and '51?

jackiewing2000

Hi Hilary

Can't find him at all on the 1851 census although like you i have him as a possible mustard manufacturer 1840-1842. On the 1861 census he is listed as Edward D Blyth, pipe maker born Louth (although a transcription on FMP incorrectly says dressmaker!), he is also listed in the Hull 1830 Poll Book as Edward Dennison Blyth, pipe maker and his death is registered under Edward D Blyth. Grrrrr!!!!!

jackiewing2000

Just also found lots of other Poll Book entries for Edward Dennison Blyth on Ancestry, living in Collier Street 1836 -1851, Porter Street 1857-1859 and finally in 1865 Spring Street (entry says dead). Still looking for entries on 1841, 1851 census. The only poll book entry that says he was a pipe maker was the 1830. The others didn't state an occupation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast