Thread: Hull 1926/7

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Default Hull 1926/7

I'm trying to find whether Walter and Florence Sibley were living in Hessle Road, Hull in or around 1926/7.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Peter
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Peter, an email to a Library in that area may answer that query for you, even if you don't have the street number.[hoping it's not a long street]
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Hi Wendy
    Apparently it goes on for miles and has lots of offshoots. It also goes through quite a number of registration districts. I've tried the Library and the history Centre. The latter reckons there's over an hour's work at £30 an hour. I might have better luck with a street directory. If push comes to shove it may be easier/cheaper to go the Birth certificate route.
    That being said, thanks very much for the suggestion.
    Peter
    Peter Nicholl

If he was a trawler skipper, there is an item in the Yorkshire Post & Leeds Intelligencer, 22 Dec 1926 which mentions "The skipper, Walter Sibley, Hessle Road....."
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    If he was a trawler skipper, there is an item in the Yorkshire Post & Leeds Intelligencer, 22 Dec 1926 which mentions "The skipper, Walter Sibley, Hessle Road....."
    Thanks, but that article is what started this post off. Walter was the Skipper of the Grimsby Trawler Castleton and he and the rest of the crew were killed on 28 June 1940 when they were attacked by a German aircraft to the East of the Orkneys. Walter was a Hull man and he was married to Florence, nee Nobbs. Although there can't be too many Walter Sibleys to the pound, I want to make sure, if I can, that he and the Walter on the Joule are one and the same. If both Walter and Florence are on the Register then "sorted". There is also a Walter as Temporary Skipper of HMT Kennymore from 28 November 1939 to 11 June 1940 (just a fortnight before the Castleton was lost). I've already written up the story of Castleton and her crew, but I'd like to add more detail where I can.
    And, as my old Dad would say, that's how the milk got in the coconut.
    Thanks again
    Peter
    Peter Nicholl