apowell

Default What does this mean ?

Hi everyone,

I'm tracing my Downes ancestry and came across this will:

Nicholas Downes of Haughton (yeoman) 27 Jul 1598 / 15 Sep 1598

Other: To be buried in St Katherine's Chapel adjoining Haughton Church between the tomb of Sir Nicholas Gravenor and John Downes; a 'sill curtiene' with the name of John Downes (his grandfather) on it.

I need help to answer or advice on:

1. What does 'sill curtiene' mean.

2. When it states to be buried in the chapel does that mean under the floor and will there be an inscribed monument or some form of identification of burial.

3. Being allowed to be buried in the chapel would this indicate the family was of a good social standing within the community.

4. Is St Katherine's Chapel still there because I can't find any reference to it only the main church.

Many thanks
    Adrian

Re "only the main church" did you find

https://www.britishlistedbuildings.co...r#.VZzJ-_IViko

which explains some of the changes the church has undergone over the centuries?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

apowell

Hi,

Many thanks I didn't realise the extent of the changes undergoneon the church and that explains alot. It seems very little is left from the original.

Take care
    Adrian

gasser

According to British History Online the chapel was erected by a former rector and he dedicated it to St Katherine. It is now the vestry....https://www.british-history.ac.uk/top...land/pp441-444
    You will need to scroll down the page to see the entry under Haughton (St Giles)

apowell

Hi,

Many thanks, very interesting to read and I really need to brush up my internet skills because I never seem to find these interesting sites.

I'm fascinated with my family ancestry around this area and have sourced them back to the 16th century.

My Downes ancestery is really interesting and I found an entry on the Visitation of Staffordshire for the Harcourt family that really interested me. Elizabeth Harcourt of Ronton Hall wife of Thomas Downes of Coton Clanford. My ancestor Thomas Downes was bapt 11 Nov 1618 parents Thomas & Elizabeth so maybe a connection to the Harcourts. If I could prove this the documented records of the Harcourts would give me a wealth of information.

Kind regards
    Adrian

apowell

Hi,

I forgot to mention Coton Clanford is very near Haughton, Seighford and Ranton (home of the Harcourts). I don't think any church stood at Coton Clanford pre 19th century so the places mentioned were the nearest for baptisms, marriages and burials.

Regards
    Adrian

downes

Adrian, if you let me have your email address I will send you the Downes Pedigrees which deals with the Downes of Haughton at length.
    jdATdownesDOTcom is mine
    Best wishes
    Last edited by christanel; 12-03-2020 at 6:55 PM. Reason: email address disguised to deter spam