Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thank you. I do hope that I can find more information on her, as my friend's mother (to whom I am sending the information to) is 96 years old, so time is running out!

Hi Su, I'm sorry, I did check for a while, but there was no reply so I haven't been on the page since then. I was, therefore, quite surprised when I clicked on the page tonight and see that you had replied. You mention that Louisa is your great aunt, can you tell me the names of the people connecting her to you, so that I can look at the information I have to see whether they are on my list. By the way, I found George, in 1861, living with his parents, Henry & Mary Ann Rathbone. I found the Scattered Homes site in London and they had a lot of information regarding the homes. I contacted them re Louisa and a very kind lady gave me some information on how to look her up on Ancestry.com - which is where, I presume, you got your information. Apparently, they now have the rights, so if you want any information you have to go through them. Unfortunately, I am no longer a member of Ancestry.com and cannot look up the information. A friend who is, offered to find a few pieces of information for me, but as there is apparently a lot, I couldn't ask her to check everything for me! Hence I do not have much! I have checked on other Louisa Rathbones born around the same time. There seems to have been one in the same area, but her date of birth was very different. There was another one born at the same time, but she died quite young. Hence, I think the one I found is the right one. Have you had a DNA test, my friend, her younger sister and her mother all had one last year. Her younger sister is the one using a computer, but I don't think she is a member of Ancestry.com. I found Louisa in the WRAF (ground work) which gives details of her height etc She entered in 1917 - she was demobolized in 1919. Then in 1921 (recent info) she is visiting friends in Cambridgshire. Well, I hope we can connect our information and look forward to hearing from you.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi. To confirm my Louisa is the daughter of George and Clara born 1895 so its unlikely to be the same person. I am a bit confused, 95 now would mean 1925 ish. How could she have been in WW!? I look forward to hearing from you and finding information on your Louisa. Where was she born etc. I havn't had DNA done but my daughter has. hope this helps. I would love to find my Louisa, Su

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Sorry I misread that! Of course it's your friend who is 96 and it's her mother we are looking for! Having got that straight Lets hope our Louisa's are the same.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Where did you get the information that led you to Louisa. Was it her WRAF records? I am intrigued to know how you made the connection. I do hope it's the same Louisa and your friend finds her family! There is an Irish connection as her brother went there. Married and had children. If only the St Mary's home discharge records were available!

Hi, sorry that my information was confusing for you. You had already mentioned that Louisa's parents were George & Clara, so I was just checking to see if your George's parents were Henry & Mary Ann. I have found 5 siblings of Louisa and 3 baptisms. I have researched every Louisa Rathbone born in England within a five year range and gone through all the Louisa's in the censuses during her life time. The only Louisa to fit the time line and place (being London) is my friend's grandmother, Louisa. When Louisa entered the WRAF she would have been about 21 years old. By the way, I read somewhere that a lot of information on baptisms, marriages and deaths in that area of London were in the "burnt papers" as for WW1 documents. This is probably why there is no information on Louisa's birth. Apparently, if a baby was born in the workhouse, then they would give out the information on the date of birth. That is probably why Clara Maud born on 22nd February 1901 has baptism information too. It states that she is 11 days old - a patient in the infirmary. Re Louisa's date of birth, on the workhouse site it states that birthdates are only approximate. In 1899 her birth date is 1894, in 1901 it is 1895 and in 1911 it is 1986. On other pages it is written 'unknown'!!
    On the school page it gives the date 21st April 1896 but it could be the baptism date, which would fit in with the date given on the 1939 census which says that she was born on the 14th February 1896. BUT, none of these may be right. There was a real stigma about having been in the workhouse, so she most probably kept it a secret and could have easily chosen that date because it is Valentine's Day. One of my great-grandfather's had three different birth dates - the day he was born, when he got married and when he died. I think he lied about his date of birth when he got married because he was much older than his wife!! When my great-grandmother died in a home, they got my great-grandfather's name wrong! My friend's grandmother, Louisa, met her grandfather in Cambridge. According to the story, she was working in a big house and they met through a mutual friend. They got married in Cambridge and then moved to Lincolnshire, which is where they lived until they died. You said that there is an Irish connection on your line, the wife wouldn't have been a dancer would she? The story told on my friend's line is that her father was a ship captain and her mother was an Irish dancer - they were supposed to have died in a ship disaster, but I have searched all the ship disasters around that time and found nothing to support the story. There are some Rathbone dancers and theatrical people, but they seemed to be mostly in the Scotland area. There is also a wealthy shipping family but there doesn't seem to be any connection. By the way, on the 1921 Census, it does state that Louisa is born in London. Which sibling on your line married an Irish person? Louisa married Percy L Bailey in 1926 in Cambridge. I think the marriage certificate is the only thing left with information on it. Hopefully it will have Louisa's father's name.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Well Jane I'm impressed with your work! Not sure where to start! Her brother John went to Ireland, married had 3 girls and died there. [I have a photo of him] There is a possibility that Clara was indeed a dancer as that is also a family story, That she was a Scottish dancer. I have found no Clara's being born in Woolwich in the time frame. I believe her to be Georges 2nd "wife" Regarding her birth. None of her family were registered except 1 who was in his aunts care and was later baptised with the same details. Unfortunately your friends cousin my dad died just before Christmas at 94! I think it's him we have to thank for you finding me at this time! I am going to send you a private message.
    Your message box is full!!!!
    Have you sent for her marriage cert?

Hi Sue,
    I am new to this site, so as I have only sent you one message, I don't know how my message box is full!!! I haven't sent for her marriage certificate yet as when I looked at both their marriage dates and info to send in for one, there are two different numbers, when they should be the same. I have sent them an email to ask which one is the correct one, so that I can order it, but I haven't yet had a reply. It's a waiting game! So how can we get in touch privately, I would like to give you my email address! By the way, your father would be the cousin of my friend's father, but he died when he was in his forties. It's her mother who is the one who told me about Louisa. After getting married they lived with his parents until they passed away.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Jane. Can you try to send me a message? Just right click on my name and choose the 3rd option. I still keep getting you are full! In my mind my Dad who was born in 27 would be cousins to the daughter of Louisa!

Hi
    I also tried to send you a message Rose Lea to test and try to see where/what the problem is with your inbox and I also got the message "Rose Lea 22 has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space."
    So before I alert Admin to the problem can you please check your inbox just to be sure the gremlins haven't been at it and it really isn't full. May as well check the Sent box as well.
    thanks
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234