Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Reputation beyond repute

Morals reflect the society that existed at the time. You can't assume that 21st Century attitudes applied over a century ago.

Why don't you contact the Community of St Mary the Virgin at Wantage and ask them about the history of the Alton establishment and where you might find their records?

Knowledgeable and helpful

Just a comment because I don't think Sulee is aware that the sexes were separated in the workhouse - men, women and children in separate parts of the building. Harsh by modern standards; practical by theirs - it stopped the creation of more needing the workhouse. As to mental handicaps these might be caused by accidents at birth. pwholt

sulee

Thank you Peter. I knew I could rely on you to have a logical and sensible suggestion.

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi sulee

I can understand that you find terms such as 'immoral ' or'mentally handicapped' upsetting but we live in very different times.

I hope you are able to find out more about St Mary's from the sisters at Wantage, and perhaps even locate Louisa's own records. She seems to have had a hard start in life and for whatever reason she was moved to Alton.

I had a look at the 1911 census there at the Home - some of the women were described as boarders but others were servants. It may be possible that Louisa was given a job at the home rather than being sent there as a boarder.

A number of the women were described in the infirmity column as'feeble minded' ( this was an official description for the 1911 census). However Louisa had no such description in the infirmities column in her 1911census record so perhaps that was not the reason for sending her to Alton.

There were no babies or children on the Home's 1911 census record.

I do wonder what became of her - hope you find out eventually!

sulee

Thankyou Grisel for your kind words.It has taken a long time to find out this much about her. I will update this post "when" I get more information.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Sulee, I found one marriage possibility but it is highly unlikely it will be your Louisa. This is 1941 to LESLIE H IVESON in Camberwell so she would have married in her 50s and if it is the same person she appears to have died 4 years later.

I live in Alton and I can remember seeing the girls from St Mary's out walking, I don't remember much about them but I wouldn't have classed them as mental. The medical terms used years ago described a person with depression etc as an imbecile or lunatic. it must have been terrible for most of them.

sulee

Thankyou Mohlia. The Louisa that married in 1941 was my aunt who had been named for my great aunt. But she didn't die until the late 70's in Australia. Where was the Louisa death 4 years later? [from 1941]
    I feel terribly sad for my great aunt. Having spent all her childhood behind the walls of a workhouse it doesn't surprise me that she could have been depressed. I only hope that she managed to find some kind of peace and happiness in Alton.
    Unfortunately I have had no luck contacting the Wantage sisters.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Sorry Sulee I'm afraid the death in 1941 was a Louisa Hiveson, so if the marriage wasn't her's neither would the death. She might have moved out of the area, there are many marriages, if she did marry.
    What was the birth date of your Aunt she was named after?

There is a burial record 11 August 1953 in Harrow

Do you have the names of Louisa's parents?

There might be a chance she emigrated

I browsed the National Archives for a while and the link below might be of interest, it links to the London Archives and you might find a lead from the school records. A bit hopeful I know!
    https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...s/rd/N13721038

I hope we are allowed to post links,

I expect you have seen or searched most of the above but you might find something!

Mohlia

sulee

Thank you. Especially for the link! My great aunt was born 21 may 1894 in Camberwell. Her birth was not registered, [neither were her siblings!] her parents were George and Clara Rathbone. [again no marriage certificate] Clara died in 1901 and george died 1910/11.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

George appears to have died in 1909 if he still lived in Cheshire?

M

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast