Default 2nd battalion the royal warickshire regiment

Does anyone have any information on william liddle gibbon known as Bill or blondie,age 24 in 1944. He was a private in ww2. He lived and died in sunderland.he was my father.

Unfortunately the MOD has not yet released WW2 service records yet. You (as nok) can, however, buy a copy of them. See THIS message for more details, and note that you'll need a copy of his death certificate.

Since I can't find him on the CWGC site, I assume that he survived WW2? Are you only looking for service informantion or, since you've come to the British Genealogy Forum, are you looking for his family history as well? If so, a bit more info would be helpful. Where born, parents' names, that sort of thing if you know them.
    For example, Was he the William L. Gibbon, mother's maiden name Bland, born Sunderland in 1920? If so, It looks as though his parents were Thomas E. Gibbon and Mary A. Bland, married in Sunderland in 1912. Of course, you'd need to get copies of the certificates to be sure.

Hi, thanks for prompt reply, I have been searching for my father for 40 years, and come up with named person. Parents I think were thomas and mary gibbon,from sunderland.i added message incase anybody may have any information on him, i just would have liked to know some thing about him .he did know that he had a child.we never met or new each other.

gasser

He was awarded the military medal which was recorded in the London Gazette July 1945
    see https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...upplement/3594

Reputation beyond repute

Presumably, that's the man who died in 1979. As this was more than 25 years ago, you can still order his full service record even though you're not next of kin. If you follow up Gasser's message, you'll get his service number.

Do you want to pursue his family history further?

This is beginning to sound more like a "lost family" thread than a military thread. Would you like me to move it if your answer to Peter's thread is "yes"?

The problem is always being sure that one has the correct man without a bit of background info to check on....

Over the past few weeks, BBC TV has been running a programme about people finding lost members of their family when they had very few details and one thing that became very obvious was the high success rate of the Salvation Army Family Tracing Service. From your reply (message 3) to me (message 2) it sounds as though I have found the correct man, and tracing backwards would be reasonably simple, but the SA have access to all sorts of modern records that we don't.

Have a look HERE