Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latin

Brick wall demolition expert!

Default Latin

Can anybody read and translate the word after Gambold on the first line?

Thanks
    Megan

gasser

Can make out 'baptised' and 'August' on first glance. Needs more studying !!

gasser

Sorry.....no idea what that word is. Can only hazard a guess it may mean presented or received or given or something similar along those lines. As to what it says....He only knows!!!

Knowledgeable and helpful

Fuit means made or done so I'm presuming it means he was baptised the something of August 1669

Emeltee

Famous for offering help & advice

At that point after a name you'd usually expect to find an occupation, or the place where someone lived. The best I can make out of this is "servitor", a servant, but I'm not 100% sure of this. Does it appear against any other names? Or did John senr have any other children baptised, where it's clearer?

Arthur

I think he was amongst other things a shoemaker, so it could be some derivation of Cordwainer or Cordiner or Corviner or Corvisor.

When I say "amongst other things", I know that he was involved in a tithe dispute, so from that I have assumed that he was also farming.

Allan F Sparrow

I think you are the right lines with the word after Gambold.

The word after fuit looks as if it could be primus, which would at least make sense: first of August.

I am hoping to prevail upon everyone's good nature again ....

The parish record I have been looking at would never get any marks for neatness, or consistency, as it constantly flits between Latin and English, even on the same page, and it also seems to reflect the writers less than well ordered mind.

This next extract is from 1676 and is a margin entry. Any and all thoughts would be most welcome.

He is Johannes Gambold (aka John), the parish is Cardigan. Elsewhere I have found an entry for him as one of a list of parish wardens. That list also appears as a margin entry, but this one does not have the same construction.

Allan F Sparrow

Johannes Gambold
    ?Robert? [that's a wild guess!] Jenkins
    David/Davies fuerunt [the latter being at least good Latin]

I can't make anything of the next two lines, unless the second ends with Cardigan

The last three lines are all a date, I think: the somethingeth day of April, anno domini... but i can't read the year...

gasser

....I see Johannes Gambold ? Gent? and ?Jenkins? Davies
    servants and wardens ... .... then a place name which I think starts Treg**** Cardigan
    then followed by the date which have yet to work on !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast