Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Father's name

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi,

The baptism is on FreeReg2 and gives the father's name as Rawley James

Emeltee

Brick wall demolition expert!

I know that the register is on FreeReg, but I have a real problem with some of their transcriptions.

If you search "Gambold" "Cardiganshire" "Baptisms" "1669" - they have 1 result for a Jacob Gambold. It isn't Jacob it is John:

That is just one example.

gasser

Hi Megan

I think emeltee was just confirming what you yourself had already deduced in your post 12, with the letter "R" written for Roger being the same as is written in your first original post with the name that appears to be Mr Rawley James.
    However, I do understand your frustrations with translations from sources and it is always a good idea to 'kick' it around on forums like this, to see what others think.
    I love challenges....so please post more if you have them!!
    best wishes, Gail

Brick wall demolition expert!

Emeltee,

My apologies for badly wording my response. It was not meant to be ungrateful, or churlish, but I can see that it was. Gail, has summed up my view far better than I did.

Gail: thank you for your gentle but fair critique of my response. Don't worry this register has more than its fair share of challenges, so I am sure that I shall be back to pester you some more.

Megan

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi Megan,

No offence taken. I was just trying to confirm the name using another source. However it just goes to show that you should never take any transcription for granted and should always try to look at the original whenever possible.

Emeltee

Can I just say, with my moderating hat on, that you lot are just about the best members any forum could hope to have. We Moderators chunter along in the background, making sure that spammers get stopped at source and redirecting new members to the sections that will give them the most, while our, most experienced members are out here on the front line self-moderating and doing their utmost to help wherever they can.
    We really do appreciate it. Thank you
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I'd like to second everything Ladkyis said.

Regarding FreeREG transcriptions, I don't know if they're 'double-keyed' like FreeBMD is, though I guess not, so therefore you're relying on one person's interpretation of what's written.
    I remember transcribing one PR (not for FreeREG) and, trying in my eagerness to be a perfectionist, I used to transcribe one week and then a couple of weeks later I would go back and check my work as well as having another attempt at the names that had stumped me first time round. One particular checking week I looked at an entry and said one name but my original transcription was a completely different name. I was completely flabbergasted as to how I'd interpreted the name so differently the second time. (I can't remember which one was correct, so don't ask!)

So it is easy to get things wrong, especially if you're on page five of difficult writing. The good thing about FreeREG is that, like FreeBMD (and presumably FreeCEN) they willingly accept corrections. I sent one off last night and have already received a 'thank you and error corrected' message.

Pam

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12