Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Knowledgeable and helpful

I found what looks to be your Mary Ann Craig’s baptism in Tullylish Church of Ireland records at PRONI (MIC1/70).

7th July 1822 to James & Jane Craig of Loughins. I noted one sibling Robert Craig to same parents, bapt 5th Sept 1824. Townland then Tullylish. (There is a townland named Tullylish within the parish of Tullylish). That the parents had moved tends to suggest they were probably agricultural labourers/weavers rather than farmers.

The Tullylish baptisms start in 1820. I looked through to 1828. I didn’t see any other Craig children.

I have copies of both entries. If you want them I can e-mail them to you. If so, send me a pm with your e-mail address.
    ELWYN

How very exciting. Thank you so much Elwyn. How very kind of you to look for them at PRONI.
    I would say that we do have the right family.
    I know that the McCullough family were weavers so that all seems to fit together and the birth date would be about right.

The ships record where she died at sea places her age as 31 in 1854.

I will send off a pm now!

I forgot to add that Mary Ann named her second daughter Jane. The first was Elizabeth but may have been after Mary Ann's grandmother?

Quote Originally Posted by Dargie View Post
    I forgot to add that Mary Ann named her second daughter Jane. The first was Elizabeth but may have been after Mary Ann's grandmother?
    Tradition was to name the first daughter after the mother’s mother and 2nd daughter after the father’s mother, but not everyone followed that tradition. And of course if there was more than one parent/grandparent named Jane or Elizabeth, it all falls apart anyway.

Regarding the accuracy of the age on the ship’s manifest, in general, people in Ireland in the 1800s didn’t celebrate birthdays, didn’t have birth certificates or passports (though they might have had a baptismal cert) and often had little accurate idea of their ages. Alexander Irvine was born in 1863 in Antrim town and became a Minister living in the US. This extract from his book “The Chimney Corner revisited” perhaps explains why people often had to guess their ages:

“My mother kept a mental record of the twelve births. None of us ever knew, or cared to know, when we were born. When I heard of anybody in the more fortunate class celebrating a birthday I considered it a foolish imitation of the Queen’s birthday, which rankled in our little minds with 25th December or 12th July. In manhood there were times when I had to prove I was born somewhere, somewhen, and then it was that I discovered that I also had a birthday. The clerk of the parish informed me.”
    ELWYN

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123