Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Marriage Certificate

My cousin has found a marriage in the British Archive register which we think may solve a long standing mystery regarding our ancestors from County Down
    I am wondering however how I obtain a copy of this marriage certificate from Ireland.
    I am well practised with English procedures but wondering how I proceed with an Irish record.

Hello
    When did the marriage take place? familysearch.org has an explanation as to what records are available and where to get them.
    https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/...l_Registration

Scroll down to the heading "Marriage Records"

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Thanks Christina. The marriage took place in 1826.
    Elizabeth named James(my great grandfather) as her brother in her will however no marriage has ever been found for her to her husband whose name we do know.
    We have now found a marriage which, if the correct Elizabeth, would make James her brother in law.
    I have read that this was quite often done ie using brother as a term for brother in law.

Hi
    Do you want to give us the full names and birthdates of the parties involved and we can take a look for a record?
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Yes certainly although am I reading it correctly that 1821 is too early for a marriage record?
    The names are Elizabeth Craig (we were originally looking for McCullough but absolutely NO record of that name)
    Birth date 1812
    John Nicholson Birth date 1800

There is a marriage on RootsIreland of a John Nicholson to an Elizabeth Craig, 7-February-1826, parish/district being Crossmolina, County Mayo. Address for both John and Elizabeth is Rathnamagh. Denomination is church of Ireland.
    Unfortunately there are no parents named for either of them and no witnesses' names.
    I searched 1821 +/- 10 years in all counties and this is the only one showing up. No records for an Elizabeth McCullough to John Nicholson.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Thank you so much . I will check the counties and see if that address is a possibility.
    The lack of parents and witnesses makes it all a little vague doesn't it?

Oh dear it is the other side of the country!
    Looks like the brick wall is still intact!
    Thanks for the help.
    This was a "shot gun wedding" and the grooms upper class family were very cross so maybe they wanted the marriage to be as far away from home as possible but think I could be a little too creative with that thought!

In case it helps these are baptisms of 2 possible children for John and Elizabeth in Co Mayo
    George Nicholson born 1 Jan 1827 Baptism: 28-Jan-1827 Rathnamagh Crossmolina, father John mother Eliz. Church Of Ireland. No sponsors named
    James Nicholson born 7-Sept-1829 baptised 13-Sep-1829 Rathnamagh Crossmolina, father John mother Elizabeth. Church Of Ireland. No sponsors named

Christina
    William Burroughs

Dargie,

Statutory recording of marriages began in Ireland in 1845 (1864 for RC marriages). So you won’t find a marriage certificate for any marriage around 1826, in Co. Down.

What you may find is the church record. Not all church records from that period have survived. Copies of most records that do still exist are in PRONI (the public record office) in Belfast but they are not on-line.

Transcripts of some of the above records are on pay to view/subscription sites such as rootsireland and the Ulster Historical Foundation, but they don’t have all of the available church records. Many are still only in PRONI (or held by the church itself).

You say that your cousin has found a specific marriage in Co Down in the British Archive register. Can you give details of what the archive registers has (eg denomination and location), and I may be able to advise you how to obtain a copy.

If you do find a church marriage record from that era, don’t expect too much information from it. Generally all you get is the couple’s names, the date and their 2 witnesses. Occasionally addresses or occupations, but only very rarely will you get parents names. You won’t get ages, previous marital status etc.

Tradition was to marry in the bride’s church (after which she would usually attend her husband’s). Looking at the 1901 census for Co Down, there were 110 people named Nicholson. All were Church of Ireland. Craig was more common, with 771 in the county in 1901. 389 were Presbyterian, 201 Church of Ireland and then a few Methodists, and a small number of RC and other denominations. So either a Presbyterian or Church of Ireland marriage, I would think.

In my experience it would be unusual for someone from Co Down to marry in Co. Mayo, unless they had connections there. In the early 1800s that would have been a very slow and lengthy overland journey. If they wanted to marry away from home for one reason or another, they often went to Portpatrick in Scotland, a short sea journey away. The Portpatrick marriage registers are full of couples from Ireland.
    ELWYN

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast