Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Thanks ... that really does help a lot because........it really proves that the County Mayo Elizabeth Craig/John Nicholson marriage is not for me
    It would seem that those baptisms would belong to that 1826 marriage.
    My John Nicholson ran off just after the wedding and went to America. Elizabeth gave birth to the child which unfortunately died as an infant in 1831.

Thank you so much Elwyn .
    I don't think the record my cousin found in the Archives stated the county or denomination.
    I know what you mean about the church marriage register as we do have the entry for my great grandfather James McCullough and Mary Ann Craig which took place in 1843 County Down. It was indeed disappointing as far as information was concerned but did show their signatures which was good to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Dargie View Post

I know what you mean about the church marriage register as we do have the entry for my great grandfather James McCullough and Mary Ann Craig which took place in 1843 County Down. It was indeed disappointing as far as information was concerned but did show their signatures which was good to have.
    Tradition being to marry in the bride’s church, it be worth checking that church’s baptism records for the 1820s to see if Mary Ann Craig’s is there (and that of any siblings). That should give you her parents’ names, if you don't have them from some other source.
    ELWYN

They were married in Church of Ireland Tullylish Parish, County Down.
    If I could find those records it would be great.

Tullylish Church of Ireland baptism and marriage records start in 1820. Burials 1829 – 1833 then 1849 – 1885.

Those records don’t appear to be on-line anywhere. However PRONI has a copy on microfilm (MIC1/70 & MIC 1/71). You can either ask a researcher to get copies in PRONI or you could write to the Vicar/Rector of the church and ask the same thing. Either way you will probably have to pay. (If the Vicar agrees to search the records, the Church of Ireland charges £19 an hour).

I go into PRONI from time to time and could probably get them for you. If interested, send me a pm.
    ELWYN

Thank you Elwyn for that useful information.

The marriage I mentioned at Tullylish was actually between my great grandfather and his first wife. I am descended from his second wife so I assume that the name of the church will not help me with the church belonging to James?

I do have a few clues however as James did have another sister Margaret McCullough who was married to Alexander Smith in 1828. I only have the baptism of her sixth child Alexander who was baptized in Dromore Parish in 1833. Her other children were Elizabeth, Mary, William,Robert, James and Arthur. They may not be in that order as I do not have baptism dates for the other six.
    If that baptism took place in Dromore parish maybe that suggests that the McCullough family also attended the Tullylish Church of Ireland?
    The birth place of James is Tullylish, County Down 1821

The marriage record in NSW, where James married his second wife, states that James's father was James and his mother Mary Morrill.
    If I could find a record of the church in which Margaret was married maybe I would have a base in which to search.
    I will certainly pm you if I can provide more details.

If the family after marriage attended the husbands church I wonder if I could find the baptisms of James and Mary Ann's (1843) children. (dates approx)That may give me the answer of where to look for church records.
    Elizabeth 1843, Jane 1844, James 1947, Ellen 1851

I the details of sister Margaret's marriage Indexing Batch No GS Film NO , Ireland ODM. 1828 Dromore Parish.
    Am I able to look these details up online?
    I am think that the McCulloughs were Presbyterian and not Church of Ireland as in the marriage in 1843 to MAry Ann Craig.

Quote Originally Posted by Dargie View Post
    I the details of sister Margaret's marriage Indexing Batch No GS Film NO , Ireland ODM. 1828 Dromore Parish.
    Am I able to look these details up online?
    I am think that the McCulloughs were Presbyterian and not Church of Ireland as in the marriage in 1843 to MAry Ann Craig.
    No those records are not on-line. You would need to order that film in to your nearest LDS library to view them.

The term parish suggests (to me) that the records will be Church of Ireland. Presbyterians in Ireland don’t use the parish system, so you wouldn’t expect to see the term parish linked to a set of Presbyterian records. Additionally, the records seem more likely to be C of I because the Presbyterian church generally refused LDS access to their records. It’s the LDS custom to “baptise” everyone in a set of new records, into their denomination. That practice offends most Presbyterian congregations. So as a consequence LDS (and Familysearch) don’t have many Irish Presbyterian records. (However PRONI in Belfast does have copies of most of them).
    ELWYN

Thank you Elwyn for that very useful information. (Sorry about all the typos in my last message)

As I have also found one Baptism for a child of Margaret and Alexander it seems that it would then be Church of Ireland.

I had no idea about the LDS new " baptise" custom!
    Very interesting indeed and very helpful.
    Looks as if PRONI will be the next step after I gather all the facts together.
    Thanks
    Marj.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast